Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2018, 21:54   #76

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Re: Composting Head Impact on Resale

I bought an older boat with no holding tank, just everything out into the great outdoors. And, you'd think, no odours. And I have lived in RV's while major renovations were completed on two homes so I definitely am familiar with holding tank odour.

Well, first the head, a new one had an odor even with no holding tank. Some one gave me the explanation, little creatures or something living in the salt water, can't remember accurately. But what I do know is that I didn't like the odour.

Now I haven't experienced marine holding tanks, but I don't see why they wouldn't smell any different than an RV holding tank, even with the best enzyme action working. I did get odours as the holding tank got close to full.

I ended up purchasing an airhead over nature's head as the latter needs more room for the top to tilt back, not so with airhead. There is no smell factor, wish the urine holding tank was larger. In fact, my recommendation to either company is to make a larger unit (higher) to incorporate a larger urine holding tank.

We are a culture so ingrained with a water flushing system that - Yes - having a composting toilet will affect the selling price or sell-ability of a boat. On older boats, much older boats, the purchaser is making so many compromises that the toilet won't affect the sale that much. On a new boat, it will influence big time many people. Doesn't matter if they are right or wrong, they know the "right" way is to flush.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 13:51   #77
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Mike, once you've used an Incinolet you'll never go back to carrying around a bucket of poop again.

There are five or six companies making similar products the problem with all of them is that they pretty much require on kilowatt hour of power per cycle.

"But aside from that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"

Could be why commercial fishing boats use them and recreational sailors don't.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 15:01   #78

Boat: PSC Orion 27

An electric toilet? What will they think of next?
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 15:42   #79

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Mike, once you've used an Incinolet you'll never go back to carrying around a bucket of poop again.

There are five or six companies making similar products the problem with all of them is that they pretty much require on kilowatt hour of power per cycle.

"But aside from that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"

Could be why commercial fishing boats use them and recreational sailors don't.
Specs say 1.5 to 2 kilowatt hours per cycle, which translates to 125 to 165 Ah in a 12 volt system. That’s A LOT of power — way too much for your typical cruiser. My entire house bank is 320 Ah. Two poops and my bank would be dead.

I love the idea of an incinerator, but the power consumption is way to great for most sailboat cruisers.

Actually, a more doable option would be the version from SunMar. It uses a heater to evaporate the liquids, so you don’t have to separate as with the more typical composter. Still takes too much energy for my liking, but it is an option. They even make a marine version, although it is only rated for 1-2 adults.
Old 22-12-2018, 18:48   #80

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
We are a culture so ingrained with a water flushing system that - Yes - having a composting toilet will affect the selling price or sell-ability of a boat. On older boats, much older boats, the purchaser is making so many compromises that the toilet won't affect the sale that much. On a new boat, it will influence big time many people. Doesn't matter if they are right or wrong, they know the "right" way is to flush.

Once again we have opinion masquerading as fact. I've been an appraiser for close to 30 years. I can provide paired data sales analysis that indicates that there is no adverse market reaction to composting heads. In fact it's common knowledge, and any realtor will agree with me, that a bad smell can have a significant affect on value. It is therefore reasonable to assume that having a composting head & ridding the boat of odor would increase the value of a boat.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, posting, sale