Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2024, 09:49   #31
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Compost head use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Cat litter does not really allow the same process of desiccation to occur, compared to material like coir or peat. It contains the feces, but doesn't really allow it to dry out, and doesn't mix together easily or well. The point about using something like coir is that it not only helps absorb moisture, but it can be easily aerated to allow more thorough drying.

Besides, are you sure litter is cheaper? Coir can be had on Amazon, or just about any garden centre, for pretty damn cheap. I suppose it might be harder to source in some places, but it's easy to carry many months, or even years, of compressed coir in a pretty small area.

The advantage of clumping litter ... for cats ... is that it keeps the urine and poop separate, because they come out of the cat different places. The clumping feature keeps them from mixing. That is a big deal regarding odor. If only we could get cats to use separating toilets ....

A totally different application. Related but very different.
Old 02-04-2024, 11:41   #32

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
A totally different application. Related but very different.
Well explained Thin . Sometimes critics of these heads like to use the put-down of calling them glorified cat litter boxes. It just shows how little they understand about how these heads work.
Old 02-04-2024, 13:57   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by newboat View Post
The C head (unfortunately it appears that they are out of production and contact) that I have is a simple and elegant version as described above-a solids tank with a dessicating medium (we use hemp chicken coop bedding) and a hand crank-and a separate urine tank. It works extremely well and requires very little cleaning and maintenance during regular use-once in a while we remove and clean the whole thing ashore. The urine tank (about a gallon) does indeed fill quickly but it is pretty easy to simply dump it overboard and replace it.
I don't think a C head or any of the others would be sufficient for say or 4 or 5 person offshore crew, but for a couple cruising it is great. No odor, no leaks!
Was going to post my build thread but after reading the ancient history there just look it up in my threads if you want a bit of info and a lot of bullshitting around by us all .
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ad-172196.html

First page and page 11 have the best info for n the build.
Old 02-04-2024, 14:53   #34

Boat: Nor'West 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Cat litter does not really allow the same process of desiccation to occur, compared to material like coir or peat. It contains the feces, but doesn't really allow it to dry out, and doesn't mix together easily or well. The point about using something like coir is that it not only helps absorb moisture, but it can be easily aerated to allow more thorough drying.

Besides, are you sure litter is cheaper? Coir can be had on Amazon, or just about any garden centre, for pretty damn cheap. I suppose it might be harder to source in some places, but it's easy to carry many months, or even years, of compressed coir in a pretty small area.
Thank you for the answer, just something I'd always been curious about. I've never had a composting head but am definitely interested for the future.
Old 02-04-2024, 15:00   #35

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrspeedblade View Post
Thank you for the answer, just something I'd always been curious about. I've never had a composting head but am definitely interested for the future.
It's a good question. On the surface, one can see the similarities, but they really do work differently, and therefore need different mediums.

If you have any other questions about these heads, please don't hesitate to ask. There's a wealth of experience here on CF.

Tags
head