Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 14:12   #1

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Choices

What are the best types and makes? and why?

Water pressure pumps, Jabsco or sureflo

toilets, ....?............?

Macerators, ...........?
Old 10-03-2010, 15:31   #2

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
I'll take a stab at this...

Water Pressure: Jabsco Sensor Max VSD pumps...electronic sensor, no pump switch, no accumulator tank (make sure to use oversize feed wires).

Toilet: Lavac... simple, no joker valve, use any pump you like.

Macerator: None. Use full flow diaphragm pump to empty holding tank. Toilet connected directly to tank, no direct overboard discharge. Even better, design system to gravity dump.

How's that?

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 15:32   #3

One of the few easy choices when searching for the best products in many categories was selecting Groco heads as hands-down the best out there. I would recommend the K-H 12 volt since you only have a single bolt to unscrew to instantly change the unit to manual operation and can enjoy the benefit of a battery when you have the juice available.

This model was designed in 1959 and has been in production since 1960
It will pump waste 18ft straight up. The first one that I bought, I thought that the rubber flap was part of the packing material and was yanking on it to try to pull it out (Hey, I didn't know). I called Groco and despite my confession of stupidity, they sent me a replacement kit for free and were incredibly helpful. I've since bought a second unit for my aft head as well as several kits for rebuilding the gaskets, etc. from Defender.

I'll be interested to hear the water pump recommendations. I'll have to look up my model, which has been running without issue for half a decade that I know about and probably a lot longer if I recall the date of the unit.

I have a Jabsco diaphragm bilge pump as my primary pump - Something along the lines of this model: 36900 Fresh water pump > Switched Pumps > Water Pressure Systems > Jabsco - ITT. It's a steady unit and easy to take apart to clean or replace gaskets.

I had a macerator and yanked it out. It's just something else to go wrong and mine certainly did. You can buy a Lectra-San unit for use in town and then Y-Valve it straight overboard for use out to sea. You can check it out at: Raritan Engineering | Waste Treatment | LectraSan. It runs off of battery power so you can use it anywhere.
D_e_n_n_i_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 16:06   #4

Im kind of limited with regard to y valving and dumping direct. Brit waterways dont approve of that and neither would the neighbours, so its got to be a holding tank friendly john, and the tank will be a good 6' away, so im guessing a macerator is essential to prevent backups.
Old 10-03-2010, 16:07   #5

Whilst im on a roll, with regard to pressure pumps, if the water tank is a long way from the point of use, is it better to have the pump at the tank end,pushing, or the taps end of the run?
Old 10-03-2010, 16:10   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
+ 1 on Jabsco Sensor Max VSD pumps
Old 10-03-2010, 16:18   #7

The LectraSan is a Coast Guard certified Type I device, which actually cleans water better than most urban center stations. If you run your waste through this system (You can get a saltwater feed tank like I have for times when you're in freshwater), then you can dump your treated waste directly overboard except in "No Discharge" zones like the Florida Keys.
D_e_n_n_i_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 16:52   #8

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Whilst im on a roll, with regard to pressure pumps, if the water tank is a long way from the point of use, is it better to have the pump at the tank end,pushing, or the taps end of the run?
As close to the tank as possible. If you have more than one tank, build a manifold with a valve for each. It will keep you from losing all your H20 should you ever spring a leak...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 19:06   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Bucket, Always Clean Bucket
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 19:17   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
As close to the tank as possible. If you have more than one tank, build a manifold with a valve for each.
You have to prime a pump when the water tank is empty and a long run can make that process very much a PITA. Most pumps don't pump air as well as water. Pulling a large column of water on a long run will lead to times when the tank has to be 100% full before you can get the pump to self prime.

If you need to winterize add a Y valve just before the pump so you can suck antifreeze from the bottle instead of having to fill the water tank. It makes cleaning it out in the spring easier. Since adding the valve it take only half the antifreeze I use to need and the job gioes twice as fast. If the tank has not had antifreeze in it the lines come clean quicker and the taste is gone faster too.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote