Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 04:57   #16

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Cat litter as head ?

We actually tried using a composting sawdust toilet on our boat for the first few seasons, since I was basically broke from having built the thing and it took a while before we could afford a nice flushing head with holding tank. . . . These were my references for the composter:

Compost Toilet – The Sawdust Toilet | A Self Sufficient Life

The Humanure Handbook - Build your own humanure toilet!

It worked okay, but not optimal for a family of four in close quarters for a week or more. Long story short. . . . I'm VERY happy with our Raritan PHII. :-)
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:46   #17

Where it isn't legal to dump waste overboard, it's just as illegal to dump the litter overboard...
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:22   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Seriously, I've used clumping kitty litter in a plastic bag to line commodes. Even when they sit overnight & well-used, the aides are always stunned to find there's no odor when they come to enpty them. The litter absorbs the moisture, that ends the odor. And it needs far less kitty litter per use than one might think.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:21   #19

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Seriously, I've used clumping kitty litter in a plastic bag to line commodes. Even when they sit overnight & well-used, the aides are always stunned to find there's no odor when they come to enpty them. The litter absorbs the moisture, that ends the odor. And it needs far less kitty litter per use than one might think.
With all due respect, I'm guessing you've never been in a house or aboard a boat featuring a cat. Their owner's always claim there's "no smell" which I suspect is because their nostrils have been burned out by the ammonia stench. And the dirt/dust arising from cat litter is horrendous and prevasive, whether in a pan or simply bag.

Don't get me wrong, I like cats, preferrably medium rare with a side of fries although sauteed with onions is good too.

If the OP is interested in something besides a normal marine head, he/she might take a look at (click on) Wag Bags although why one would want to store and drag around the waste is beyond me.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:41   #20
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Cats always smell, and using litter is maybe ok if you use your boat 1 or 2 days a year. As a cruiser its a goal of mine to have the head be similar to home, not camping style.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:57   #21

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

. And it needs far less kitty litter per use than one might think.[/QUOTE]

Probably about the same amount of bread crumbs it takes to coat a corned beef hash cake.
Jus sayin
Old 11-01-2013, 09:09   #22

I have actually heard of someone doing this . They said they used a 5 gallon bucket and put about 8 inches of scoopable kitty litter inside. I didn't ask if it was only liquid waste or solid.
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:17   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Meeee--Ooooowwwwww!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
looks it has been tried in homes
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:27   #24

R U sure you dont have cat litter in your head already? ha ha
It's going to get real expensive.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:34   #25

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

I might also add that whatever folks might admit to doing, and I'm not saying I have ever or would ever do this, but it is common to simply pee over the side when nobody's looking. This can be awkward for the ladies but I have been treated to more than one early morning sight of a female derriere stuck backward over the rail of a neighboring boat to answer nature's call. The fish are doing worse than that, in the water, after all. And then they DIE there! Turtles pee and poo in the water. Whales do, and porpoises. Seagulls and albatrosses let fly while flying over water as well as over your boat. A little tinkle I am sure is not going to upset the delicate ecological balance of any body of water big enough to sail around on. Urine does not contain coliform bacteria, or really, much of any bacteria. I am not trying to make a case for whizzing overboard, just pointing out what many people use to justify this and that many people do this when out of sight of others. The problem of liquid waste disposal in practice is often a non-issue if you simply aim over the transom. (not in the marina though, please.) That would certainly make for less kitty litter used.

But I will still stick with my Jabsco manual head and my holding tank.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:48   #26
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

I think when you have several guys swillin back beers and the sun is down, peeing over the side is the norm. Its been my impression that avoiding useing another cruisers head is good if possible. You never know if they might be a crap bagger or have odd religious head useage voodoo.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:50   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
With all due respect, I'm guessing you've never been in a house or aboard a boat featuring a cat. Their owner's always claim there's "no smell" which I suspect is because their nostrils have been burned out by the ammonia stench. And the dirt/dust arising from cat litter is horrendous and prevasive, whether in a pan or simply bag.

Don't get me wrong, I like cats, preferrably medium rare with a side of fries although sauteed with onions is good too.

If the OP is interested in something besides a normal marine head, he/she might take a look at (click on) Wag Bags although why one would want to store and drag around the waste is beyond me.
You drag it around so you can tap into it later and burn the methane for cooking fuel...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 23:14   #28

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Check out SailFar.net and search for: The $10-20 (or even free) composting head. Peat moss works.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 00:29   #29

Boat: Mac 26X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bean
Check out SailFar.net and search for: The $10-20 (or even free) composting head. Peat moss works.
Well we got 3 pages before someone used the "C" word ;-)
But that is what I was thinking: the old "saw dust" head. Not really composing, but works very well, especially if you minimize fluids. I would assume even if you're buying pine shavings (that's what I used for years) it's cheaper than clumping kitty litter.