Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2021, 14:55   #61

Re: Can't pump out holding tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
I will say the charring of anything from the exhaust would make me want to insulate and screen it big time.
My sentiments as well. The exhaust pipe was insulated, but the insulation had been cut a tad short and didn’t cover an inch or so towards the base. Which is where it touched the sanitation hose (which was not routed as it should have been). The factory is putting new and longer insulation on the exhaust pipe, in addition to re-routing the sanitation hose entirely. I will be checking it after the work is done to make sure that, even with the insulation, nothing is touching or unduly close to that exhaust pipe.
GiniL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:27   #62

Boat: Columbia 10.7

Going back to my original post on this thread I have finally nailed down the issue with my pomp-out woes.

After replacing the vent hose (not the problem) I closely inspected the y-valve installed in the system. Originally, the y-valve was intended to allow overboard discharge but since I'm in the Great Lake that is not allowed. So, I've been trying to pump out the tank for the last three years.

The tank would NOT pump out with the valve in either of the two positions, but would allow it if I turned it half-way. At first, I thought the problem was due to the flimsy nylon vent hose collapsing under the extreme vacuum of the pomp-out.

But the problem persisted after I replaced the vent hose. Finally, I had the time to address the y-valve and after close inspection I confirmed that they had installed the y-valve wrong!

In one position, the y-valve connected the holding tank to the overboard discharge. In the other position it connected the pump-out to the overboard discharge! So, that meant that the pump-out had NO direct connection to the holding tank!

Another issue that I saw in the system was that the y-valve was installed in such a way that it could have created a syphon action from the holding tank toward the overboard discharge. That would mean that black water could fill the hose from the holding tank all the way to the thru-hull and stay there since that seacock would never be used in the Great Lakes!

Before I launch this spring, I will have to break the seal on the overboard discharge and make sure that line is empty before sealing it again.

I cut about 10 inches from the pump-out and holding tank hoses so I could move the y-valve higher to prevent a syphon.

So, the moral of this story is that you should NEVER assume that any device on your boat was installed correctly by the manufacturer and especially not the previous owner!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	y-valve.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	234324   Click image for larger version

Name:	y-valve2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	234325  

Name:	valve-01.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	234326   Click image for larger version

Name:	valve-02.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	234327  

Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:35   #63

I rotated the valve so now it finally connects the holding tank to the pump-out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	y-valve3.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	234328  
Old 11-03-2021, 09:55   #64

Boat: Pearson 34-2

Thank you for the follow-up! When we got our boat, our Y valve was labeled backwards, so we had the opposite problem: tank wasn't filling. Once I poked around, I found the issue. I also found many other things labeled incorrectly over the past two years!
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:02   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred4936 View Post
Thank you for the follow-up! When we got our boat, our Y valve was labeled backwards, so we had the opposite problem: tank wasn't filling. Once I poked around, I found the issue. I also found many other things labeled incorrectly over the past two years!
Why do you have a y-valve between the toilet and the holding tank?
Old 12-03-2021, 10:21   #66

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
Why do you have a y-valve between the toilet and the holding tank?
I'd guess for direct overboard discharge? Dah
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 08:39   #67

Boat: Pearson 34-2

It just directs the output of the WC to either overboard or into the tank. If there is a better way, I am open to suggestions. I have it zip-tied in position so I cannot move it without cutting the zip tie. I think this is legal in some places, not totally legal in others.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 12:29   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred4936 View Post
It just directs the output of the WC to either overboard or into the tank. If there is a better way, I am open to suggestions. I have it zip-tied in position so I cannot move it without cutting the zip tie. I think this is legal in some places, not totally legal in others.
My boat has a macerator pump on the discharge side but only from the holding tank. That way, we fill up the holding tank underway and can pump it out out in the middle. I guess you could divert the toilet overboard, but the waste would not be maccerated. At this time we're on the Great Lakes so we can't use the overboard line at all.

Jabsco provides a suggested installation for direct discharge and diversion to the holding tank. In that case they recommend a vented loop on both lines. I like our design, no worries about sinking the boat from the toilet.
Old 19-03-2021, 12:37   #69

Here's a photo of my new installation. I disassembled my vanity in the head so I could replace the water damaged wood. This allowed me unlimited access to the waste hoses. It allowed me to shorten the toilet outlet, and move the vented loop into the head and out of the fore cabin. The vented loop is installed on the toilet outlet and discharges to the holding tank.

The holding tank has the y-valve and then I shortened the hose from the holding tank to the y-valve so it can't create a syphon action. The overboard hose now is also longer and the end is above the waterline when the boat is level or slightly heeled. But the seacock is wired shut while we're on the Great Lakes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	head-04.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	234786  
Old 25-07-2021, 06:26   #70

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Sounds like sludge on the bottom of the tank may be blocking the tank discharge fitting, that adding water is thinning it enought to pump out. Holding tanks should be flushed out 2-3x year--and especially in preparation for winter or other extended layup to eliminate any sludge. It's not hard to do and it's not necessary to fill the tank to do it: Put enough water into the tank via the deck pumpout fitting--'cuz that sends the water into the tank at the bottom to stir up the sludge and hold it in suspension so it can be pumped out--to cover the bottom to a depth of 4-6'. Pump that out. Repeat...repeat...until you're pumping clean water. Then put a few gallons of water into the tank one more time and turn on any overboard discharge pump to rinse out the pump and its related plumbing.

--Peggie
Would it help to add any chemical/cleaning agent to the water to ensure more sludge removal?
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 06:51   #71
Marine Service Provider

Stirring up the sludge--which requires adding the water via the deck pumpout fitting, and a nozzle on the hose to create some pressure--eliminates the need for any chemical. Btw...I just caught a typo in my instructions. Should say "to a depth of 4-6", NOT 4-6'!

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 12:25   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Stirring up the sludge--which requires adding the water via the deck pumpout fitting, and a nozzle on the hose to create some pressure--eliminates the need for any chemical. Btw...I just caught a typo in my instructions. Should say "to a depth of 4-6", NOT 4-6'!

--Peggie
Thanks for the correction. Since my tank is only about 12" high, that would be hard to do unless I sank my boat...

Tags
holding tank, pump