Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2015, 08:46   #16

Boat: '83 Catalina 30
Re: Can't Pump Holding Tank

Thanks everyone for helping me diagnose this problem. I am going to take CampDavid's advice and fish-tape the discharge line. If I don't find the clog it'll be time to drain and disassemble the discharge side of the system (yuck!)
drpaoletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 08:53   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

The vent on my holding tank was also clogged but I could pump out the tank regardless. If I set the Y valve so the head was discharging into the tank, the head itself became the vent. I could pull all the sewage out of the deck "fill" because the tank was sucking air out of the head.

Of all the theories I like the collapsed hose theory the best. The hose does not last forever, and it either has a pinch in it, or has sucked into a collapsed shape.

I doubt there is a basic connection problem due to the age of the boat. Someone would have fixed this a long time ago, and it's unlikely someone put the hoses on "backwards" in the meantime.

Chuck
Alerion Express 38 Yawl #6
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 10:48   #18

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaoletta View Post
Thanks everyone for helping me diagnose this problem. I am going to take CampDavid's advice and fish-tape the discharge line. If I don't find the clog it'll be time to drain and disassemble the discharge side of the system (yuck!)

You've got lots of help here.
If you disconnect the inlet side of the toilet at the tank, top hose, you'll have more than adequate ventilation to empty.
If your tank has a dip tube for the discharge, that can be the problem,clogged or fell off.
If your discharge is at the bottom of the tank it's collapsing during suck out, they can separate from the inside, or is clogged.
Good luck

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 11:10   #19

Boat: Catalina 387

I have a 1980 Catalina 30. I assume yours is like mine.

The tank is plumbed to the deck fitting from the bottom rear of the tank (easy to get to under the port settee). Mine then runs behind/under the stove and icebox to go to the deck fitting through the sail locker. If it's collapsed behind the icebox, that's a very bad thing as it's very hard to get to.

As already mentioned, the vent goes to a stanchion on the port side unless it's been changed. Also I 'unlock' the cheap jabsco toilet before pumping, too much vacuum in the tank will drain the toilet.

At Dana Point, the pump out pumps barely empty the tank. They just don't suck enough and it's like 7 feet of rise to pump up. They will not get it empty, it just gurgles with tons of stuff remaining in the bottom of the tank as well as the hoses.

I moved my macerator to always be primed, and I just dump it when out past 3 mi. The pump out docks are a pain. The one at Dana east has become home to a few large seals -- not gonna mess with em.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 14:55   #20

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
............. I moved my macerator to always be primed, and I just dump it when out past 3 mi. The pump out docks are a pain. The one at Dana east has become home to a few large seals -- not gonna mess with em.
If your macerator is always primed, it's also always full of poop. Most of these pumps are self priming to four or five feet so I think a better idea is to have it as close to the tank as possible but above the level of the top of the tank.
Old 25-03-2015, 06:28   #21

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If your macerator is always primed, it's also always full of poop. Most of these pumps are self priming to four or five feet so I think a better idea is to have it as close to the tank as possible but above the level of the top of the tank.
I'm trying to get more life than 4 months out of them. My theory is the impeller dries out enough to let the shaft spin inside. It's used 2x-4x a month. The original install was about 3 ft above the tank. Jabsco lasted 12 runs, WM lasted like 4. And nope, I don't run it dry. Prior install looked factory even including a giant bronze gate valve, that like all gate valves was left in whatever position it broke in.

Yup, a diaphragm pump would be better, but I do need a macerator. We'll see how long it lasts being down low.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 15:26   #22

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Some pump out stations work better than others. I've had poor results at Dana Point too. Also bad at Glorietta Bay in San Diego. Off shore I empty the holding tank with a Whale Gusher Titan. No electric pump needed.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank