Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2013, 21:58   #1

Boat: Steel Roberts Mauritius 44 "Blue Bayou"
Can I use 1" pipe to plumb head?

Hi

I want to upgrade my TMC manual toilet with an electric Raritan Sea Era conversion. I've noticed that the output on macerators is a 1" ID pipe. It this thing macerates the material then can I use 1" pipe on the whole system? Holding tank, Y-valves etc?

Cheers
Mark
KaptainKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 05:12   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Can I use 1" pipe to plumb head?

I'm no expert. That said, what I've heard is that you need something that will flex with the normal vibrations and movements of the hull and structure of the boat. Hard pipes will eventually crack, probably right where they connect to a fixed tank, head or pump.

There's also the noise transmitted to the hull.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 06:21   #3

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I didn't explain myself very well. I meant 1" hoses, not rigid pipes.
Old 18-08-2013, 06:24   #4

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

yes...my whole system is plumbed now with macerators at each head to holding tank and macerator to overboard is all 1" PVC pipe or 1" hose for turns..vibration issues.

for short term I had some extra 1" , thick walled clear PVC tubing that I used on one head...has been fine for 2 years. No problems or odor permeation. If I get 3 years out of it...at the price for that kind of tubing and ease to replace....I'm ahead of the game.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 06:44   #5

Thanks Psneeld. There's not much space so it should be easier if I can use 1" hose. The next problem is finding it. All the sanitation hose I've seen is 1 1/2". Same with the Y-valves etc. Anyway I'll keep looking ...
Old 18-08-2013, 06:46   #6

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

PVC pipe is just fine! And don't under estimate its strength. 1" schedule 40 PVC has a pressure rating of 450 PSI @ 73.4 F. Many times in the past I have used PVC pipe to add to a pipe wrench for added leverage. I have NEVER broken a piece doing this.

But some caution here.... the fittings such as Y's and elbows are not as strong as the pipe it self. I have used PVC pipe for over 25 years for boat waste lines. First in my older sailboat and now in my powerboat. And my lines are long.

Another caution to consider is with the pipe diameter. Mine are all 1 1/2" schedule 40. If you are flushing with raw salt water, there is a risk of building up a salt like residue inside the pipes that will restrict flow. I add numerous clean outs just in case I have unexpected problems and later I changed both heads to fresh water flush which I find better than raw salt water.

There are several past discussions on PVC here in the forums. It is great stuff and it does not stink!

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 09:51   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Another caution to consider is with the pipe diameter. Mine are all 1 1/2" schedule 40. If you are flushing with raw salt water, there is a risk of building up a salt like residue inside the pipes that will restrict flow. I add numerous clean outs just in case I have unexpected problems and later I changed both heads to fresh water flush which I find better than raw salt water.
+1

Other than sinking, I think a clogged waste pipe is probably the most unpleasant thing that can happen on board. I think you would really be pushing your luck with 1" piping, especially if it is hose.

If you can possibly manage it, I would really stay with 1 1/2" pipe (which has more than double the internal area of 1" pipe!), and use real sanitary hose which is metal-reinforced and odor-impermeable.

Macerators are great, but they are not a total guarantee against clogging, and as the previous poster pointed out, they can get calcium-buildup sclerosis quite easily if people don't flush enough clean water through them after taking a leak.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head