Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2022, 16:41   #1

Calibrating Thermostat with Adler Barbour Compressor Cycles

I have a Adler Barbour 2.5 Cold Machine using R12 with a medium size evaporator box in an empty 6 cubic foot ice box. The amperage starts at 6 and decreases to 5 prior to the compressor stopping. With the thermostat in the maximum position, the compressor cycles off when the temp in the evaporator box is 10 degrees. The compressor starts again after about 7 minutes when the box temp is 20 degrees. If the thermostat connections are jumped, the box temp goes to 0 degrees in about 9 minutes.
It appears that the thermostat is malfunctioning and prematurely shutting off the compressor. The thermostat sensor tube is installed on the side of the evaporator with the appropriate 5” loop under the retaining bracket. Other than buying a new thermostat to see if that is the problem, are there other approaches to sync the thermostat with the compressor capability?
windseeker33647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 17:20   #2

Re: Calibrating Thermostat with Adler Barbour Compressor Cycles

Not sure what you're after here. Seems to me if you left the T jumpered for longer it would get even colder. So?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 20:48   #3

The compressor has the capability of cooling to 0 degrees when the thermostat is bypassed. My objective is for the compressor to automatically reach the same low temp by using the thermostat. Currently the thermostat, when set at the maximum position, turns off the compressor at a temperature of 10 degrees.
Old 22-02-2022, 07:44   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by windseeker33647 View Post
The compressor has the capability of cooling to 0 degrees when the thermostat is bypassed. My objective is for the compressor to automatically reach the same low temp by using the thermostat. Currently the thermostat, when set at the maximum position, turns off the compressor at a temperature of 10 degrees.
Sounds like thermostat is installed correctly as long as sense tube is not touching a cold spot other than at the 5 inch end.

I would again test the system with thermostat disconnected from control module and jumper on module thermostat terminals. Now if you let it run without it stopping evaporator temp will drop to minus 16 degrees below zero as long as there is no air movement in side box, an compressor never sysles off. If compressor did stop during this test I would suspect an electrical problem. If compressor ran but cooling stopped I would suspect a refrigerant flow problem.
If all else fails replace thermostat and and its wiring.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 10:08   #5

I replaced my thermostat with this programmable digital unit:

Inkbird Dual Stage DV 12V Digital

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019I3YCFS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_WBCSXZWK1Z5G1TDP8DFQ?_enc oding=UTF8&psc=1
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 10:38   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibstay View Post
I replaced my thermostat with this programmable digital unit:

Inkbird Dual Stage DV 12V Digital

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019I3YCFS...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Would you not want to find out if thermostat was the problem first. A digital thermostat might create a more complicated problem.
Old 22-02-2022, 11:04   #7

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
Would you not want to find out if thermostat was the problem first. A digital thermostat might create a more complicated problem.
The OP said that by jumpering out the thermostat it would get to zero in nine minutes. A digital one is a good solution. IIRC those thermostats came in two versions with appropriate ranges for refer or freezer. Looks to me like he has the wrong thermostat.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 13:11   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
The OP said that by jumpering out the thermostat it would get to zero in nine minutes. A digital one is a good solution. IIRC those thermostats came in two versions with appropriate ranges for refer or freezer. Looks to me like he has the wrong thermostat.
There is a 30% chance you are correct but from information provided there is a 70% chance you are wrong. I always like to confirm by non destructive testing the actual cause saving time and money.
Old 22-02-2022, 13:40   #9

Quote:
There is a 30% chance you are correct but from information provided there is a 70% chance you are wrong. I always like to confirm by non destructive testing the actual cause saving time and money.
Can you elaborate on this?
Old 22-02-2022, 14:10   #10

Boat: Oyster 435

Here is my experience, take it for what it's worth. Early last season I struggled with temperature control in our AB cold machine. The unit was 19 years old at the time. I read up on the tutorials on how to diagnose the problem and felt that I had a reasonable understanding of a way foreword.
Before any of that I spent $30 + on a new AB thermostat, and invested the 15 minutes installation. Repaired the problem.
A digital thermostat may have been more accurate, pinpointing the problem before investing a few dollars was probably the reasonable course of action.
I probably just got lucky, but in my world analog control, is just fine and spending under $50 to replace a part that's probably at end of life was a risk I was willing to take.
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 16:44   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Can you elaborate on this?
I will give you only the short answer as it is a waste of time to explain why the billions of small refrigerator with induction cooled evaporators and cap tube refrigerant control are more efficient, when compressor is controlled by evaporator temperature cycling times. This fixed speed Adler Barbour displays a amperage and evaporator temperature reduction pattern as long compressor is running. If my simple test was done and resulted in minus 10 to minus 16 degrees F the thermostat is a problem as refrigerant flow and electrical problems were eliminated by my test. The correct setting efficiency of any thermostat is to prevent it from over powering evaporator.
Old 22-02-2022, 17:08   #12

Thanks Richard and others for the inputs. I will follow Richard’s recommendations and provide feedback after next weekend. Appreciate your assistance.
Old 22-02-2022, 20:31   #13

Quote:
I will give you only the short answer as it is a waste of time to explain why the billions of small refrigerator with induction cooled evaporators and cap tube refrigerant control are more efficient, when compressor is controlled by evaporator temperature cycling times. This fixed speed Adler Barbour displays a amperage and evaporator temperature reduction pattern as long compressor is running. If my simple test was done and resulted in minus 10 to minus 16 degrees F the thermostat is a problem as refrigerant flow and electrical problems were eliminated by my test. The correct setting efficiency of any thermostat is to prevent it from over powering evaporator.
Who said anything about not controlling the refer by measuring evaporator plate temperature?

I have two A/B cold machines, BD50 compressors, newer than the OPs. Both are controlled by digital thermostats with sensors directly attached to the evaporator plates in the location where A/B provided holes to attach the the thermostat probes. They work fine.

The OP also said his present thermostat is attached to the evaporator.
Old 23-02-2022, 05:24   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Who said anything about not controlling the refer by measuring evaporator plate temperature?

I have two A/B cold machines, BD50 compressors, newer than the OPs. Both are controlled by digital thermostats with sensors directly attached to the evaporator plates in the location where A/B provided holes to attach the the thermostat probes. They work fine.

The OP also said his present thermostat is attached to the evaporator.
If you are controlling evaporator temperature and not box temperature you are OK. Windseeker's problem has nothing to do with where thermostat monitors temperature. I only answered your question that had nothing to do with the thread OP.
Old 27-02-2022, 13:50   #15

I jumped the thermostat contacts and let the compressor run for two hours. The compressor never shutdown and the amp draw varied from -4.5 to -4.8. The steady state low temp was -5 degrees. I changed out the thermostat with another used thermostat and selected the maximum setting. The steady state temp reached a minimum of +8 degrees before the thermostat shutdown the compressor. The compressor restarted after 3 minutes when the temperature had increased to +10 degrees. The thermostat maintained the +8/+10 cycle for the duration of the one hour test. So changing the thermostat achieved a low of +8 degrees versus the prior low of +10 with the original thermostat and cycled to maintain a range of +8/+10 degrees versus the previous range of +10/+18. Based on Richard’s analysis/test, additional freon is probably needed to achieve the desired low of -10/-16 degrees.

Tags
cal, compressor