Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What head is best -& can handle 4 persons for 4-5 days with out change or smell
C Head - 13 40.63%
Natures Head 13 40.63%
Air Head 7 21.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2013, 13:56   #31

Re: C-Head, Natures Head or Air Head- which is best overall

Well I certainly don't mean to sound angry. I am not. And I have no objection to anyone's choice. But this is not comparing apples to apples, and I want to make sure the readers understand that. It's not like you are getting the same thing for $300 or $400 less - not at all. I am just trying to make that clear to readers. There are big, important differences, and that's why it costs so much less. If you understand those differences, and the less expensive toilet still works for you, I say buy it.

On another matter, regardless of the toilet used, please be aware that is is strictly illegal to place bags of uncomposted human waste into the regular garbage. This is a serious health risk. It must be fully composted first. In warm summer temperatures that takes about 12 weeks, with no new material added during those weeks. Therefore, with all marine composting toilets you need to set the material in another container for secondary composting to take place, before placing in the trash. I find it much easier usually to dump the contents into a pit toilet at a marine park. Here in the Pacific Northwest, these park toilets are now big composting toilets. Unlike the outhouses they replaced, they are completely odor free.
brad torrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 04:52   #32

Boat: Homemade plywood catamaran houseboat, 49'

I like the idea of using pit toilets for disposal, but they are rare in these parts. Our marinas have flush toilets here in the SE US. Not to mention the question of whether the providers of the outhouses appreciate the substantial contribution to their fill rate. My partially-composted waste will most likely finish the process in its own bin, behind the azalea bushes in my own garden. The C-Head manufacturer recommends non removable lids on the 5-gallon buckets before disposal. But never-ever tossing fecal waste in the dumpster? Give me a break. Or don't people use disposable diapers where you live? What else do you do with used kitty litter, doggy pick-up, etc? I have seen major landfills up close, I have seen municipal sewage overflowing, and forgive me, but I think a little partially composted coco fiber etc, double-bagged in all that rank refuse, is not likely to launch the next cholera epidemic.
Reiheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 12:20   #33

It is important to know that not all poop is the same. Human waste contains pathogens that can make you extremely sick. Cow and horse poop do not contain these pathogens, and are basically safe to be around. Cat litter has some potential issues, but is nothing like human waste. On a risk scale of 1 to 10, cat litter is a 3 and human waste a 9.

If you read the package that diapers come in, you will see they all say you must rinse the poop out in the toilet, before throwing in the garbage. I know people don't do that. But that does not make it right or safe. Their laziness could make sanitation workers sick.

This is why, in all states and Canada, it is strictly illegal to dispose of un-composted (fresh) human waste in the trash. Fines are stiff if caught. It is not illegal to dispose of cat litter in the trash, because the health risk is much less.

Boaters need to be responsible, or authorities come down hard with ever-more onorous regulations. Lets try to avoid that. Composting toilets make this easy. Just dispose of the contents safely and legally.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:21   #34

Boat: MacGregor 26S

After reading this thread I see that most feel pretty strongly about the head of their choice. That's a good thing, buyer's remorse is a bad feeling indeed.
I would like to offer just a few thoughts and tell you about a design change with the C-Head and why I selected it. I'm not trashing the other two contenders, however, the C-Head simply fit our application better.
We have a smaller 26' sailboat. The head that came standard was a porta-pottie. Our idea of living on board our boat is 2 weeks at a time, not months at a time. In my quest to find something to replace the porta-pottie, I did some research online as well as visited the AH & NH owners in person at the Strictly Sail Chicago show. What they offered appeared to be very well built and I was already sold on the idea of a composting toilet, they were simply too large to fit comfortably in our boat. Then I found the C-Head. I was very impressed with the amount of detail on his website and he provides a way to build a cardboard model to test the fit of his toilet in your boat. I built the model and found that it was just a few inches too high due to the fact that there was a shelf in the head where the toilet would sit. In discussing this with the owner, he came up with a unique modification to his standard model which would accommodate that shelf. It fit perfectly. It is now available on his website. Now to consider the other options.
Pros
It is the same size as a standard toilet at home
It uses an 'off the shelf' toilet seat - same 'at home' comfort level and is easy to replace
The urine collection system is as simple and convenient as it gets, using standard 1 gal milk / water jugs. There are no worries about what to do if you fill it up. Simply cap it, stow it, throw in another one...
NO SMELL! Now granted, I don't use it for months at a time, but I used it for 3 weeks with 2 people and it literally had no objectionable smell whatsoever.
The stirring handle is on the top, no need to make room for it on the side
There is nothing to unscrew or take apart, simply tilt the top back and you have easy access to both containers
Mine came with 4 mounting brackets in the same color as the toilet itself. Nice looking unit and installation.
Cons
You should probably empty the solids once a week with 2 people using it every day. I didn't have to, but just felt more comfortable doing it. Its no big deal, there is no smell and the whole job takes maybe 10 min.
Saxacussionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 20:13   #35

Couldn't have said it better myself, Sax. I have no problem either with the other two... I just liked the size and simplicity of the C-Head, and really liked the milk-jug idea. Hundreds of dollars less expensive WAS nice, too.
Old 16-04-2013, 04:42   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34' "Lily Pad"

Just a footnote. As some of you may know and in the interest of full disclosure, I am the designer and builder of the C-Head and as such, I am limited as to what I can post on these threads. It is not my intention to compare products but I do believe that it is proper and fair to correct misinformation. I will simply re-refer you to a link to a website "Simply Sailing" that is already posted on this thread. They have done a follow up on the article that was originally linked to.

http://www.simplysailingonline.com/
Old 20-05-2015, 12:49   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad torrence View Post
Well I certainly don't mean to sound angry. I am not. And I have no objection to anyone's choice. But this is not comparing apples to apples, and I want to make sure the readers understand that. It's not like you are getting the same thing for $300 or $400 less - not at all. I am just trying to make that clear to readers. There are big, important differences, and that's why it costs so much less. If you understand those differences, and the less expensive toilet still works for you, I say buy it.
Brad, I don't own any of them so let's get that out there. But you do sound like an agenda my friend. As for "comparing apples to apples" - each allow you to poop and pee. A Mercedes allows you to drive from point A to point B. A Hyundai likewise. Why is it that only the Mercedes owners are worried about comparing apples to apples? Since I don't own a Mercedes, I have to just speculate, but my guess is that having paid all that money, they want to convince themselves it really was worth the extra money.

Anyway, you made your point the very first post, and you made sure that the readers got your point. Then again in a subsequent post, then again.

I understand that the more expensive two require $300K molds to make. Thanks for making that point, it is vital to my decision making process. I understand that one empties once a month, the other once a week. Likewise important. I got that you believe a fan is vital. I will make sure I take that into account.

I got it. Most likely everyone else as well.

I came into this thread seeking pros and cons of what individuals own, not what they didn't own and were certain weren't worth owning.

As such, hearing pros and cons from owners of ALL THREE types has been useful.

Thanks.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 13:36   #38
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I did my usual exhaustive investigation into everything I could find on these heads when my 30 gallon holding tank let go. We replaced two marine heads with NH. I don't recall all of the specs and differences between the Natures's Head and the air head, but I do remember the things that made my decision. I think the NH is a little taller than the others, and we liked this. We buy extra-tall toilets for our house, too. We don't believe in "one size fits all" when we can get stuff that fits us better. But as was pointed out, if you have limited overhead space be careful about the NH. We have plenty standing headroom. If you or anyone on the boat is shorter than an average adult, you might want to check that seat height, too. Could make a foot block, if needed, but seat height might make the decision for you.

No questions about leaving the seat up or down with the NH.

As for the blower, well, I disagree with some of the people here. For starters, these are not really fully composting heads. Oh, they call them that and we all like the sound of it, but they're primarily dessicating heads. Means the solids dry out and start composting, but it takes something like a year for true composting and it just doesn't stay in the head that long. But the point here is that what makes it work is the dessication. And dessication requires air flow. Read the material and think about it.

As for a NH requiring a coffee filter in any capacity whatsoever.....rubbish. We've had one for a year, the second one for six months. Someone has no experience with it at all, obviously.
Old 22-05-2015, 08:43   #39

I'm glad you find the discussion useful. I don't have an agenda. I just strongly object to people marketing cheaper, more cheaply made, lower quality products as "the same" as better products. This is currently happening with marine composting toilets. Consumers are being seriously duped but what I consider deceptive and dishonest marketing practices. I'll say what I can to fix that.
Old 22-05-2015, 09:06   #40

Quote:
<snip>I don't have an agenda.

<>I just strongly object to people marketing cheaper, more cheaply made, lower quality products as "the same" as better products. This is currently happening with marine composting toilets. Consumers are being seriously duped but what I consider deceptive and dishonest marketing practices. I'll say what I can to fix that.
Sounds like an agenda.

No one is being duped. No one has said the C-Head is "the same" as the other two.

LOTS of folks are saying the other two are the same. I haven't seen ANYONE say that the C-Head "is the same" as the other two, where are you seeing this? Everyone is saying it is cheaper. Everyone is saying it is simpler. Everyone is saying it has to be dumped more often. How does that make it "the same"?

Lots of folks have said they bought the C-Head and are happy with it. How do you consider that as "being duped"?
Old 22-05-2015, 09:09   #41

Wow, Brad, for a guy with "no agenda" you sure spend a lot of electrons disparaging a product with which, I will wager, you have zero personal experience. Are you on the NH payroll or something? Why is it you find it so difficult to live and let live? Unless you are trying to sell a more expensive competing product, in which case your remarks are unseemly, your obsession seems truly peculiar!!!!
For the record, we've owned our C-Head for three years, and we remain entirely satisfied with our allegedly "inferior" product. I do not feel at all duped, rather have found the C-Head manufacturer to be entirely aboveboard, courteous, and responsive, his website and personal communication to be superb and informative, and his product to be very well-made, entirely odorless, comfortable, space-saving, easy to use, maintain, keep clean, empty, and all the rest. I suspect it will outlast us and our boat.
I assume you are pleased with your head. Lovely. I have no quarrel with that. À chacun son goût, and all that. Now, if you don't mind, I, for one, am tired of hearing you rail on in such ignorance about the one I own.
Old 22-05-2015, 09:15   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiheld View Post
Now, if you don't mind, I, for one, am tired of hearing you rail on in such ignorance about the one I own.
Old 22-05-2015, 18:09   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiheld View Post
Now, if you don't mind, I, for one, am tired of hearing you rail on in such ignorance about the one I own.
I could not care less if anyone ever buys an Airhead, NH or any other brand. However, the marketing of C Head suggest it is a similar product, at lower cost. I quote "our quality is second to none". That is a false statement. The build quality is cheaper - no debate there. I think everyone deserves the truth, then they can make up their own minds. A less expensive, more cheaply made product may be just the thing for you and many others. But several readers have asked, on this forum and elsewhere, what is the difference. I tell them. If you don't like that, I'm sorry. I think that is what the forum is for. That is what I'm looking for, when I research products here.
Old 22-05-2015, 18:54   #44
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
I could not care less if anyone ever buys an Airhead, NH or any other brand. However, the marketing of C Head suggest it is a similar product, at lower cost. I quote "our quality is second to none". That is a false statement. The build quality is cheaper - no debate there. I think everyone deserves the truth, then they can make up their own minds. A less expensive, more cheaply made product may be just the thing for you and many others. But several readers have asked, on this forum and elsewhere, what is the difference. I tell them. If you don't like that, I'm sorry. I think that is what the forum is for. That is what I'm looking for, when I research products here.
You absolutely don't know what you're talking about. We've owned all three, Airhead, 2 Naturesheads and now a C-Head. They are all great products and before we tried the C-Head I would have given the nod to the Natureshead, still love it. I was very surprised when I received the C-Head as I thought it would look more "homemade". Was I wrong! It also is molded plastic and very well done. Yes, you have to change the compost every week as compared to every month but it is so easy to change it just doesn't matter. Also less time for the flies to start laying eggs if they get the chance. The pee jug is a standard milk jug/ water jug so to replace costs $.79 and you get a gallon of water with it.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 18:57   #45

Riiiiight, Brad. And you, Sir, are an expert on the C-Head, having owned one? Ever? Or even used one? Ever? Have you ever even seen one up close?
Or, perhaps are you talking through your um... hat? I am astonished at the alleged concern for veracity and accuracy when your own experience seems to be so entirely lacking. Can you produce a scintilla of evidence for your assertions other than you like your brand of plastic pot? Even one verified instance of C-Head product failure?
... ... ...

Seriously: Why the vendetta? Do you go on at such tedious and sanctimonious length about ANY other product for which there are alternatives?

Something here just doesn't pass the smell test.

Tags
head