Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2015, 16:00   #1

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Boat heater redux

After reading the comments by Mike Reed and others regarding the value of a boat heater for visiting Alaska (as well as anchoring in Southern California in the winter) I did a quick review of previous posts on the subject. It appears that Webasto has resolved some issues with battery power consumption in the five years since the last discussions.

Has anyone used the newer Airtop EVO 3900 unit? Or do you have a more current alternative that I should consider. My previous heating system was a wood burning Dickenson. My plan is to install the diesel heater in the mid-ship engine room, and run ducts to the forward and aft cabins of my Searunner trimaran.

Also, just for laughs, I am considering getting a unit that will also heat water for hot showers, on a grander scale than the tea kettle and garden sprayer system I currently have. Okay for Catalina Island, but I'm dreaming about Prince William Sound in summer, 2016. It also means I will probably need a watermaker to avoid a lot of dinghy trips with water jugs.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 16:20   #2

Re: Boat heater redux

I have done tons and tons of boat heater research, and just can't make up my mind. Several of Dickinson larger diesel units can be equipped with hot water coils for heating different compartments. Another sweet option would be a diesel stove and oven for heat.

There are also some very nice solid fuel units, far superior to the Dickinson like the little cod and ship mate. There is a new small airtight out of Montreal called a cubic mini. A coal burning unit called the tiny tot.

People with the Refleks seem very fond of it- but my research indicates very poor dealer support in Canada and Alaska is right beside Canada. However, I know there are some very experienced cruisers who cruise in Canada with Refleks.

Conversely- Dickinson is based in Vancouver and would have excellent dealer networks around the west coast.

I wish I could decide what I want- another year of not deciding has meant nothing but electric at dock and paraffin lamps at anchor.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 17:24   #3

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

I don't think you'll need a watermaker. If you have some way to catch rain you can top up your tanks every few days with rainwater. Our tanks were perpetually full.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 17:35   #4

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Thanks, Mike! That allows me to defer a very expensive device for, at least, another year. By the way, where was the background photo on your avatar taken?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote