Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2016, 10:28   #31

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982
Re: Blackwater Holding Tanks

I did use LYE from the Hardware store, was awful stuff . But did the job in 10 min !
be careful and wear a mask ! its nasty stuff. !
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 11:28   #32

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I am in the the middle of changing to a fresh water electric head on our boat in Grenada,and decided to redo the entire system . the black water tank was installed at the factory with all the fittings except the vent on the bottom of the tank except the vent . Consequently all the hose where jammed with ,well you know the answer. Iam planning on putting in a new tank next year but I have a question regarding the macerator pump. Can they lift or do I need to have a fitting at the bottom of the tank for it . Also do people have an opinion on Frp tanks.
every day is a learning experience
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 14:47   #33
Marine Service Provider

According to the owners manual Jabsco Macerator Pump owner manual , the Jabsco macerator is self-priming to 5'.

As for tank material, seamless rotomolded polyetheylene is the recomended material. You indicate that you spend summers in Toronto...if that's still true, and you can wait till you return there, Ronco Plastics (no relation to the VegoMatic Ronco) is your best source for a tank. Ronco Plastics Marine Catalog They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and has more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. You're close enough to the border for it to make sense to get a US shipping address at a UPS store or similar independent business to avoid international shipping rates "customs brokerage fees" etc that double the cost of shipping.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Bo...dp/1892399784/
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 10:07   #34
Marine Service Provider

Hi Chris
With the new toilet bowl scale remover for holding tanks you have to discontinue use of Noflex a day before and a day after. Other wise the bowl cleaner will neutralize the Noflex.
I'm not sure how it would work with the sensors It was developed mainly for scale in the pipes and duck bills valves a bigger problem that sensors.
Your seem pretty active on the Silverton forum your post last week was a good one.
Sea Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 12:36   #35

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Q View Post
Hi Chris
With the new toilet bowl scale remover for holding tanks you have to discontinue use of Noflex a day before and a day after. Other wise the bowl cleaner will neutralize the Noflex.
I'm not sure how it would work with the sensors It was developed mainly for scale in the pipes and duck bills valves a bigger problem that sensors.
Your seem pretty active on the Silverton forum your post last week was a good one.

That's interesting to hear about the mostly-compatibility (a day before and after doesn't seem like a problem), Dave, thanks.

What's the name of the new product?

Have to admit, when our sensor float finally locked up during last (2015) season... that was after 7 years service with no holding tank cleaning other than KO and eventually Noflex treatments... so I wasn't too surprised, or even bothered all that much. Turns out removing it and cleaning it in a diluted muriatic acid bath was all it took, not hard, and it looks good as new. If there's eventually a product that can do that -- occasionally -- without having to remove it, great. Otherwise, it wasn't a terrible burden to remove and clean, at least in our case.

Yeah, a common member question is about what treatment products to use. You've gotten a lot of good press over there over the last couple years or so. Didn't know you were in there with us...

-Chris
Old 21-11-2016, 13:31   #36
Marine Service Provider

I'm a boater (for years) so i watch the forums you can check me out on marine traffic below

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/...0/vessel:SEA_Q

I find also watching some of the forums that some people have real problems and i try not to promote my products by preaching or believing my product is the end all .Sometimes people get how to use of my products all wrong and i step in.

I have found that word of mouth and having something that works the best and having someone that will talk to you on the phone or email a great service i provide
The toilet bowl cleaner was really developed for big vacuum systems like naval ships I just tested on recreational boats at the time to see how it would work.
It contains 2 milder acids, anti foaming agent that is also a lubricant, a non foaming surfactant a little dye and flagrance.
i will PM you the data sheet

Last week a guy in Australia had washed his beer making equipment in his bath tub and his septic field had started to grow yeast and spill over
He wanted to know if my sewage product would help him "rather than make the sale" i told him to pour bleach down the system and then pump it out.
Old 21-11-2016, 13:44   #37
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnick View Post
I did use LYE from the Hardware store, was awful stuff . But did the job in 10 min !
be careful and wear a mask ! its nasty stuff. !
Really nasty and it could generate heat and if it dropped to the bottom of the tank results might be interesting.
They use the same trick on the large treatment tanks that are plugged solid and use caustic soda.Their tanks are epoxy coated steel.
Old 21-11-2016, 14:29   #38

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
According to the owners manual Jabsco Macerator Pump owner manual , the Jabsco macerator is self-priming to 5'.

As for tank material, seamless rotomolded polyetheylene is the recomended material. You indicate that you spend summers in Toronto...if that's still true, and you can wait till you return there, Ronco Plastics (no relation to the VegoMatic Ronco) is your best source for a tank. Ronco Plastics Marine Catalog They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and has more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. You're close enough to the border for it to make sense to get a US shipping address at a UPS store or similar independent business to avoid international shipping rates "customs brokerage fees" etc that double the cost of shipping.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
Peggy thank you. Regarding the macerator I eventually found that myself .
The boat that requires the new tank is in Grenada which has a good supply of capable frp fabricators . do you have an opinion on the use of frp for a black water tank
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 18:12   #39
Marine Service Provider

The boat that requires the new tank is in Grenada which has a good supply of capable frp fabricators . do you have an opinion on the use of frp for a black water tank

A lot of extra weight compared to PE, but otherwise it just depends on the quality of the fabricator. Are there any plastics fabricators there who could make you a good quality custom welded PE or PP tank? That would be your best option, but only if you can find an excellent fabricator.

We prob'ly should discuss the best place to put it (which is unlikely to be where it is now) and also where the fittings locations belong. I'll be glad to help you sort out both.

Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank, tanks, water