Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2017, 14:01   #1

Black water tank location on a 57' Swan

Hi guys...
I'm in need of some info on Black water tanks...
I recently joined a 57 ft Swan that has a blackwater tank under the port aft bunk for the aft head... There is however, no tank for the forward head... We are looking to get a new tank for the forward head... The problem is, that I can't see where the forward tank used to be...
There is no info on the black water tanks in the vessel schematics.
And Swan has not answered my emails...
I would greatly appreciate any info on where the forward holding tank on a 1981 S&S Swan should be installed.
Also, any info on new tank material that would be best suited..
Kind Regards
Rainy
Rainyatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 17:17   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Black water tank location on a 57' Swan

Depending on where the boat has spent most of its previous life, a tank may have been needed only occasionally...so as long as there was tank on one toilet, another one on the forward head wasn't needed. Whether that was the case or not, it's now up to you to decide how big a tank for that head needs to be for YOUR use of the boat, then find a location within about 6' of toilet that will let you run the necessary plumbing with only minimal--if any--carpentry needed.

You don't say where in the world you and the boat are located...if in the U.S.Ronco Plastics Ronco Plastics Marine Catalog (no relation to the VegoMatic Ronco) is your best source for a tank. They make TOP quality thick-walled rotomolded PE (the recommended material for waste holding) water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. If you're in Europe or the UK, Tek Tanks in the UK is your best choice Tek Tanks Boat Tanks

You asked about tank material...rotomolded PE is recommended, followed by welded PE or PP. Avoid metal and bladders.

Depending on where you plan to cruise the boat, who'll be aboard with you (how many, their ages, etc) a Type I MSD (USCG certified treatment device) is another possible option you may want to consider.

If you'd like more detailed help figuring out how to do all this than is practical in open forum, you're welcome to give me a shout via email.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Bo...dp/1892399784/
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water