Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Bilge Pump Switch Systems
Is this question clear 5 100.00%
Is this pertinent 3 60.00%
Useful? 3 60.00%
Redundant? 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2015, 13:23   #31

Boat: youngquist viking 34
Re: Bilge Pump Switch Systems

Coming from a land plumbing backround I would shy away from air switches because of the potential failure points; clogged or kinked air tubes, damaged diaphrams...
I prefer submersible pumps as they are water cooled ,compact, even under water less prone to water shorting in a wet enviroment, no belts or shafts to get fouled. I also don't like the float on a vertical rod as they get out of alignment, bumped, dirt on rod can make it stick and I would suppose a boat healing or listing might make it worse. That all applies to land based equipment the marine versions I hope are better, but I would not trust it to be.
On my own boat I have one rule pump and separate rule float that works well enough and one Johnson pump with the separate Johnson ultra? Ultimate? Sensor switch that I have been very happy with. The pump runs an extra 30 seconds or so dry which prevents repeat cycling if water is slow moving such as in a flatish bilge like mine.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wooden head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 13:35   #32

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooden head View Post
...don't like the float on a vertical rod... I would suppose a boat healing or listing might make it worse...
This is a good point.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 21:56   #33

55' sailing cat. Lot's of bilges, including two showers, many compartments. This is all good, and most of them have their own bilge pump and switch.

I replace the rule bilge pump switches somewhat often. It's not just the trouble, cost and time, but also that there is no warning other than ... the water is suddenly found NOT to drain from a shower. Starboard head is mainly used for #1 visits, with only hand washing. It takes many hand washes for bilge pump to activate - so we don't notice when the switch "best before" is over.

Used three hours now, to research online - any other switch that will last longer? Was drawn to the Johnson solid state switch - but despite solid state and no moving parts - still confused by very contrasted reviews. A mix of one star and five star ratings! Also, I don't understand if these switches need to be powered separately (what else drives the electronics?)

My vessel is 24V btw - usually only a question of pump selection, not switch.

I just want a simple on/off switch solution, which is likely to last more than a year.

I was thinking of doing a quad setup: 4 switches in a parallel - seriel setup. This would mean if one single switch is not switching on, or one is not switching off, the system would still be working (but still no warning). This would delay the time until replacement, and guard against both constant on and constant off. Not all locations are suitable for 4 pumps, though, and it would cost a great bit to install.

Is there ... one switch to end-all of these common problems?
DITB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump