Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2012, 10:19   #16

Re: Bilge Pump questions

For a decent size pump and simplicity on smaller craft, I've been liking the Rule 1500 with the auto switch internal. There are bigger pumps and better switches, but they cost a lot more too. This pump installs simply and takes less room than a separate switch etc. 1.125" outlet hose.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 00:27   #17

Boat: Marauder 8.4
Well thanks everyone for your opinions so far. I realise there is a lot to consider, including the perennial argument as to weather or not there is anything to be gained by leaving the pump on standby when not on board and thereby having part of the electrics live while unattended and if a large leak did occur then the batteries could likely run flat in any case and the boat eventually sink. Kind of damned if you do, dammed if you don't I guess... The boat already has a large manual pump that I have never had to use, as the bilge always remains bone dry. I feel the likelihood of her developing a major leak when parked up is slim but you never know...
Obviously mid transom quite high up would be the best outlet position with perhaps an anti siphon loop. Thanks for that advice.
Shanaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 01:53   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Bilge Pump questions

In addition to decent sized pumps in the bilge consider a small one under the engine if the bilge is separated into compartments. If you are motoring along and in the cockpit a badly leaking engine hose could put a lot of water into the boat before you realise the floor boards are floating. We have an auto supersub which drains into the cockpit and from there overboard. the idea is that the crew will see water suddenly appear in the cockpit and do something about it. A bilge alarm would achieve the same thing. It doesn't need to be a big pump although even a small one will shift 600(US) gas per hour. I chose the Supersub because it's a small neat auto pump that fits under our engine.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pump.gif
Views:	148
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	47185  
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump