Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 10:24   #1

Bilge Pump Plumbing Dilemma

I need to reroute my bilge pump discharge to accommodate installation of stabilizer equipment, and have some questions on the best way to plumb it.

Currently, the pump (Rule 2200 or something close to that) have a 1-1/8" outlet, but a 1" home worked over it. It appears to have been heated to stretch it over as there is discoloration around the hose. The hose then runs to a Forespar siphon break with 1" fittings, and finally to a 1" straight barbed fitting coming off the thru-hull which is slightly above the waterline.

The challenge begins with the 1" straight fitting on the thru-hull. It needs to be a 90 deg elbow to route the hose clear of the new equipment. But I can't get an elbow on it because it will collide with the bulkhead panel when screwing it in. Removing it in the future would require removal of a lot of equipment plus the bulkhead panel. Right now, I've installed a marine grade plastic barbed elbow off the existing straight fitting, but I'm uncomfortable with the durability of this arrangement.

The second issue is that the hose from the pump to the siphon break needs to be extended a few feet. Rather than attempting to stretch another 1" hose over the pump outlet, I've installed a straight barbed plastic coupler and another few feet of hose to extend the run. I'm uncomfortable with this as well.

So the questions are:

1) How big an issue, if any, are these plastic fittings on a bilge pump hose run?

2) What is the best technique to get a 1" hose over a 1-1/8" pump outlet? Heating I presume?

3) And what's the best technique to get water hose over a barbed fitting? That's been a challenge too. Heating helps, but I'm worried about weakening the hose.

Thoughts and suggestions?
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Bilge pump plumbing dilemma

You need to install 1- 1/8" hose, a new siphon break, and a new discharge through-hull in a new (accessible) location. Plug the hoile at the old 1" thru-hull location.

Forespar offer an 1-1/8" Vented Loop (#903009), as do Rule (#261)
http://www.forespar.com/pdf/techTips...Loops-long.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:07   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Gord's right.

B.O.A.T.

Break Out Another Thousand.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:58   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

To help ease hose over a barb, it may be helpful to gently heat the end of the hose with a heat gun (hot air blower), or by dipping in hot water.
Do not use soapy water or other lubricants.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 14:42   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Bilge Pump Plumbing Dilemma

If you would like to stay with the 1" hose, get a Rule Model 57 Adapter.
This is an elbow that will fit onto your 1-1/8" pump discharge and give you a 1" female pipe thread on the other end. Just screw a 1" hose to pipe fitting into the adapter and you can make a neat secure connection of the 1" hose to the 1-1/8" discharge.
Old 08-05-2011, 15:07   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Go to Groco's website, www.groco.net. Take a look at their HTHC-S thru-hull with 90 elbow. Would this help? It's a very short thru-hull with an internal female thread that a hose to pipe elbow screws into.
Old 08-05-2011, 15:36   #7

Thanks for all the tips. I found a pretty simple solution to the different hose sizes which is to change out the fitting on one end of the siphon loop to make it 1-1/8", so it's 1-1/8" on one end and 1" on the other. Now I can use the proper size hose over the pump fitting instead of stretching the hose.

And for the elbow, I found a street elbow that fit, then reused the straight barb that was on it before.

Oh, you might wonder why I didn't run 1-1/8" all the way to the thru-hull. Well, replacing the thru-hull was not something I wanted to do. Also, there is a factory tee fitting in the line that picks up a condensate drain from the freezer and that's 1".
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, plumbing