Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2016, 19:17   #1

Bilge pump access plate (strong)????

I am going to mount a whale gusher 25 under the cockpit sole. That is the only place that wont be a skull buster in the quarter berth or be in the middle of the ice box. I dont think the typical plastic access plate will be strong enough for constant stepping on. Any ideas or products available that might work? Of course I will have to put a normal rubber sealing gasket so that I dont have water running into the bilge while I am trying to pump out. Any ideas are welcome. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 12:23   #2

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40
Re: Bilge pump access plate (strong)????

Looking at the Whale Gusher 25, I don't understand your proposed installation.

It is a bottom mounted pump with a top mounted handle. If you mount directly under the cockpit sole, you don't need an access panel. If you intend the handle to come up into the cockpit, it will be a complex installation. But in that case, I would use a readily available round access cover such as:

WEST MARINE Screw-in Deck Plate, 4", Smooth, White | West Marine

Or similar. It will be plenty strong enough.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 15:09   #3

Yes I need to mount it under the sole. I would rather have it on the side of the foot well, but as I said, it would be a head buster in the quarterberth. Building a very solid shelf from the bulkhead will hold it well,but I am nervous about a plastic cover. In looking at the West Marine link I see that most of the plastic covers have non-skid molded in so they must assume that they will be stepped on. The Bomar one looks pretty good to me, but I was hoping to find aluminum. If I dont find what I want , I will probably go with the Bomar. Thanks, ____Grant.
Old 26-10-2016, 16:05   #4

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

FWIW We have a 5" Bowmar clear deck plate mounted horizontally on the aft cockpit seat, providing access to the rudder post for the emergency tiller. It gets stepped on all the time. No problems.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 11:54   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If you don't like plastic deck plates, Perko makes them in bronze and Suncor makes them in stainless.
Old 27-10-2016, 12:32   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The plastic deck plates should work just fine. Mounting the Gusher 25 will be the big issue. Will take a pretty strong 'cage' to handle the torque of the side to side pumping action. You will also need to be able to get at the sides of the the pump to open the access panels should the pump become clogged with bilge debris. The easy ability to clean was the big selling point for me when I bought mine.

I had a Gusher 25 mounted on a board on our old boat but it wasn't a very satisfactory solution as it took a lot of space to store. Currently have an Edson Diaphragm Pump on a a board. Very low profile so takes up little space in the bottom of a cockpit locker. Easy to deploy when needed and it moves a lot of water quickly. Unfortunately, they are pricey but you might find one at the Blue Pelican consignment store in Alameda. That's where I got mine at a good price. Manual Diaphragm Pumps

I've got a couple of largish diameter bronze access plates hanging around here somewhere that were for access to the rudder post head for the emergency tiller. Hell for stout but no sealing O ring or gasket so they will drip a bit if you have standing water in the cockpit. $20 plus shipping,
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 15:27   #7

Pete, that will solve my problem. Thank You very much. I will figure out how to make it reasonably water tight. There is a bulkhead at the forward end of the cockpit and I will do a beefy shelf/bracket to that. My Tartan is tiller steered and the original (very tiny) bilge pump is mounted at the rear of the 9 foot cockpit. You could not possibly steer and pump at the same time, and it is silly small and plumbed into a cockpit drain. Needless to say that things need to be plumbed better. I bought 2 Gusher 25s at a swap meet for $35 and one was never even installed before. Defender still sells overhaul kits so I am good for a long time. Access will be fine under the cockpit for cleaning the pump. Hopcar, thank you, I only saw plastic ones at West and Defender. Pete, I will PM you. One more minor problem solved by CF. Got to love this forum. _____Grant.

Tags
bilge, bilge pump