Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018, 10:19   #16

Re: Bidet Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_B View Post
Would a manual pump provide enough pressure to work the bidet? If not, would it be feasible to add a small (maybe quart-sized) pressure tank that could be charged with a manual pump? Similar to head function- pump to fill the pressure thank, then pump to pressurize. Then the spray control on the bidet could control delivery.

I feel like this could be rigged up (at least for prototyping) with an inline valve and a small garden sprayer.

Thoughts?
Certainly a bulb pump or other simple solution will work.

I am planning on using something like this, mounted in a cabinet adjacent to the head. Just refill it with the shower wand.

A bidet seat/wand pays for itself in saved toilet paper in a month or two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wash.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	180294  
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:51   #17
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Don't skimp on pressure, you don't want to cause pain, but a dribble won't do.

And not too icy cold although it does wake you up 8-D
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:48   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Raritan makes a bidet version of the Elegance. They don't advertise it, it's not on their website, and I have no idea of the price or which if any retailers carry it. Give 'em a cal to find out. 800-352-5630
--Peggie
I contacted them. The list cost for a complete unit, part# 221BS012, is $2060.00, which apparently is $520 (list) more than a regular seafresh unit. See attached.

I didn't know this before I bought mine, though I think I'll stick to my plan of a small $20 isolated tank/pump (which could be filled with warm water and is otherwise cheaply user serviceable).

Attached Files
File Type: pdf rabidet.pdf (539.4 KB, 73 views)
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:14   #19

In addition to nicer, cleaner butts at sea, the bidet is also a fantastic installation if you often have houseguests who are not boat/RV savvy.

I tell them to use less TP than on a residential toilet, but too many times, they just don't get it. Bidets get things so clean, my guests use a lot less TP and the problem is much improved.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 13:00   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Misfits is correct..

Bidets require a atmospheric vacuum breaker to be installed on the water line serving it. A check valve is not adequate. That is a landslide plumbing code requirement by the way.

Installing an atmospheric breaker on the pressure water on a boat would also be adequate.

Only way that it could be done is on the supply line to the device, which is always under pressure, meaning of course that the vacuum breaker is closed.
Then comes the question that it’s not required for a house installation, why not?
I want to think that I heard or read somewhere that if there is x amount of air gap, no breaker is required.
Then why is it that no household toilet that I’ve ever seen has a vacuum breaker, yes the tank is filled, but when you open that flapper valve to flush, that’s a pretty direct connection to the bowl?

I understand that the most conservative response is fit a breaker, although it is functionless as long as there is supply pressure.

The vacuum breaker on the Sea-Era head of course is functional, as there is only water pressure and flow during a flush, the rest of the time the valve is open. Very, very little pressure of course as one end hose is open and unrestricted.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 13:06   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bidet Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Bum gun as standard around the world.

Like the sink sprayer you find in western kitchens.

Mounted next to the toilet, long enough hose.

Cheap, reliable, easy.

https://www.finditangeles.com/images...280b674fa7.jpg

That was Plan A as I just replaced the sink facet and no longer need the sprayer, I was going to repurpose it, until I ran into the $40 Amazon solution.
Of course if you look at your picture, there is no vacuum breaker there either.
Old 07-11-2018, 14:17   #22

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Why not plumb it to raw water ?
Old 07-11-2018, 14:37   #23
cruiser

There are some ahem, conditions, that would mean salt water would smart a bit.

And of course when not in use should be rinsed with fresh.

For both reasons I'd only do so if you made it easy to switch from one to the other.

Could someone link to a good 101- level explanation of the vacuum issue, or explain like I'm a five y.o.?
Old 07-11-2018, 15:10   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bidet Installation

If for some reason that the pressure inside of the supply hose were to drop to below atmospheric, then water could be drawn back into the hose, from there a bacterial growth could begin, and contaminate the fresh water supply.
Remember when we were kids, there were just hose bibs on the outside of a house, now they all have backflow preventers screwed onto the bibs.

However I never heard of an issue that was caused by the lack of backflow preventers on hose bibs.

However I’m also the guy that doesn’t like having to pay for tire pressure warning sensors, just cause Ford decided to make their SUV’s ride smoother by recommending tire pressures that were too low.

Raw water may have organisms in it that may not be good to possibly introduce into the anus. I’m not saying it would, but could.
My luck I’d get a jelly fish tentacle or stinger, whatever it’s called, just one of those on the Wife, and the Bidet is done
Old 07-11-2018, 15:17   #25

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That was Plan A as I just replaced the sink facet and no longer need the sprayer, I was going to repurpose it, until I ran into the $40 Amazon solution.
Of course if you look at your picture, there is no vacuum breaker there either.

We have Plan A, the bum gun, but on the usually somewhat smaller marine toilets it is harder to handle than on land. I like your solution and may copy it, without backflow preventer...
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 15:32   #26

Boat: sabre 28

Quote:
Only way that it could be done is on the supply line to the device, which is always under pressure, meaning of course that the vacuum breaker is closed.
Then comes the question that it’s not required for a house installation, why not?
I want to think that I heard or read somewhere that if there is x amount of air gap, no breaker is required.
Then why is it that no household toilet that I’ve ever seen has a vacuum breaker, yes the tank is filled, but when you open that flapper valve to flush, that’s a pretty direct connection to the bowl?

I understand that the most conservative response is fit a breaker, although it is functionless as long as there is supply pressure.

The vacuum breaker on the Sea-Era head of course is functional, as there is only water pressure and flow during a flush, the rest of the time the valve is open. Very, very little pressure of course as one end hose is open and unrestricted.
Vacuum breakers are mean't to be under pressure. When a negative pressure exists, the device opens so it draws air instead of contaminated waste back into a potable water supply.

Look at it this way, your kitchen & lav faucet outlets are above the flood level of the fixture being served therefore a backflow condition cannot exist. It's on your boat & the likelihood of a back siponage condition existing is probably slim to none. And if does it only effects your water supply, not a public water system.

I only brought this up because others felt it wasn't a big deal. In my business code is code, there's no getting around that. Backflow of water/sewrage doesn't care if it's installed on a boat or the 15th floor of a building. Eventually **** happens.
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 16:39   #27
cruiser

So are people saying the bum gun hose needs such protection?

To me it has exactly the same contents and conditions on the user side as the supply side.

Or do people think the gun might get poo on it?
Old 07-11-2018, 16:51   #28

Boat: sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
So are people saying the bum gun hose needs such protection?
Yes it does.

If you have a handheld shower in a bathtub or shower at home odds are there is a vacuum breaker at the end of hose where the shower head attaches. Short money to protect your water supply & health.
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 17:23   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bidet Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
Vacuum breakers are mean't to be under pressure. When a negative pressure exists, the device opens so it draws air instead of contaminated waste back into a potable water supply.

Got it, and understand
However the only hose there is on this thing is the supply hose, that is always under pressure.
If you were to fit a vacuum breaker, it ought to be between the valve and the nozzle, where not much pressure exists and there is no pressure in the off position cause the nozzle is always open, but you can’t fit anything between the two as it’s an internal hose, not an external hose.

On the Sea Era Head, the vacuum breaker is right at the bowl, where there is no pressure except slight pressure when it’s being flushed.

I sent the manufacturer a question, asking why no vacuum breaker is required.
It’s possible I guess that there is one built in, but I’m not holding my breath.
Old 07-11-2018, 17:52   #30

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:

Raw water may have organisms in it that may not be good to possibly introduce into the anus. I’m not saying it would, but could.
My luck I’d get a jelly fish tentacle or stinger, whatever it’s called, just one of those on the Wife, and the Bidet is done
Its the same water you swim in that shouldn't be a problem or do you mean the old water that sits in the line.

Some chewed up box jellyfish tentacles might not be fun. However showing up to the better half with the sad face on and holding out a bottle of vinegar might make good Vloger footage.

Tags
installation