Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2016, 11:56   #1

Boat: Sunbeam 44
Bending an evaporator plate ?

I know you can bend a frigoboat evaporator plate .... but has anyone bent an Isotherm plate ? I am remodelling my fridge freezer and hope to use an existing plate bent to fit the new small box size. They look similar in design from what i can see. Any advice appreciated ...

also ... the plate has 'couplings' between the plate and compressor that keep the gas in each component, connected at installation. I will ask isotherm, but has anyone disconnected and reconnected them without issue ? or are there risks there ?

cheers ...
d4raffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:27   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Bending an evaporator plate ?

I've bent 2 iso therm plates, no problem. A refer guy told me he will only trust those connections one time
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:54   #3

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4raffy View Post
I know you can bend a frigoboat evaporator plate .... but has anyone bent an Isotherm plate ? I am remodelling my fridge freezer and hope to use an existing plate bent to fit the new small box size. They look similar in design from what i can see. Any advice appreciated ...

also ... the plate has 'couplings' between the plate and compressor that keep the gas in each component, connected at installation. I will ask isotherm, but has anyone disconnected and reconnected them without issue ? or are there risks there ?

cheers ...
Some plates are thicker then others and can only be bent at certain locations , I have actually just bent them any way and had good luck . Try to make the bend as gradual as you can , and use a ridged pipe or dowel to bend it on wrapped with something soft , watch the passages and stop if you see them collapsing.

Also some of the connectors are one time use , and some seal up as you open them up , you will know which ones you have as soon as you loosen them, one note , do it quickly so not to loose as much refrigerant but thats a moot point if they are non-reusable

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:14   #4

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

Always replace o-rings...$0.79 for kit...plus postage. I have bent both...1-1/2 pvc pipe works fine...

Sent from my LGMS323 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:37   #5

Boat: Bristol 41.1

I used a 4" PVC pipe as a mandrel, warmed the paint finish with a heat gun to avoid cracking, and gradually bent the plate to 90 degrees.

The smaller the radius of the bend, the more likely a problem. The (approximately) 2" radius I used was about all I was comfortable with.

I was also a ways in from the ends of the plate. Maybe a 1/3 to 1/4 location from the end.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote