Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2018, 04:46   #1

Are any boaters following the law?

I’m not looking for admissions of guilt, but in your experience, how many boaters comply with sewage discharge laws?

I ask because for the last two weeks I’ve been in a marina in Tampa Bay doing some upgrades and requested a pump out from the marina. They seemed really put out by my request, despite advertising free mobile pump outs. It took four days of daily requests to make it happen. Then I noticed that during the last two weeks I never saw the pump out cart servicing any of the dozens of live aboards in the marina. As I started asking around, most of the live aboards indirectly admited to just pumping overboard, many claiming that maceration is treatment enough.

Is this normal? Do most boaters ignore the discharge laws, even when inside the marina?
Boat Named Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:05   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Are any boaters following the law?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat Named Sue View Post
I’m not looking for admissions of guilt, but in your experience, how many boaters comply with sewage discharge laws?

I ask because for the last two weeks I’ve been in a marina in Tampa Bay doing some upgrades and requested a pump out from the marina. They seemed really put out by my request, despite advertising free mobile pump outs. It took four days of daily requests to make it happen. Then I noticed that during the last two weeks I never saw the pump out cart servicing any of the dozens of live aboards in the marina. As I started asking around, most of the live aboards indirectly admited to just pumping overboard, many claiming that maceration is treatment enough.

Is this normal? Do most boaters ignore the discharge laws, even when inside the marina?

Frankly, I find it unlikely that many would do such a stupid thing but there are invariably some who feel that the rules don't apply to them. This (small) group accounts for much of the dislike of live-aboards in marinas, particularly in Florida.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:14   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

What marina are you at?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:39   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

I don't know your location, but perhaps it is a matter of enforcement driving compliance? In the fresh waters that I've cruised in, the various waterborne law enforcement folks just love dumping dye markers down the heads and looking at our plumbing. I sometimes think that they only know three laws: plumbing, PFD's, and drink-boating. Since you have to live down-stream of your neighbor's toilets, why not make an anonymous call to the local coasties or state wildlife folks and ask for an inspection?

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:50   #5

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

While you are making calls, perhaps you can get the the city of st pete to stop dumping millions of gallons of raw sewage into Boca Ciega bay every time it rains hard! No penalties for them though. That's just a case of s--t happens!
Old 11-09-2018, 05:54   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Are any boaters following the law?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat Named Sue View Post

Hmmm

Can’t be the Muni as they have a pump out BOAT.

Could you clarify or better explain “the cart”? Vinoy has a hose cart that is used to bring the waste to the vacuum system pipes that run along the dock. I thought that the Harborage had a vacuum system also.

Given St Pete’s past fines I know folks are OCD about water quality in the bay. So the odds of a marina being lax is low.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:54   #7

Boat: Formosa 41

I followed the law 100%.

I had a boat that I couldn’t discharge overboard.

Two things happened. I killed a day in Martha’s Vinyard onboard waiting for the pumpout boat and in Marion, MA the girl hooked up to pump the tank to pump it out but didn’t get a suction and got very little of the contents of the tank.

From then on I installed an overboard discharge.

I always went to or beyond the 3 mile limit.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:10   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

I know in a lot of marinas the culture is to put urine in the waterway on the theory that it’s sterile and to use the marina restrooms for ones daily constitutional.

I’ve never been to a marina where the culture was to not hold and pump out, and I would not stay at one where I knew that was the case.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:27   #9
cruiser

While berthed at Wentworth by the Sea in New Hampshire, I witnessed many boaters using a pumpout station. That’s been the only place in the US, Mediterranean, Canada or California that I’ve ever seen one being used. Very few places outside the US even have a pumpout station.

So my answer is no.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:36   #10

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

the hardest thing for me in georgetown bahamas is to step out of my dinghy at the beach and step into knee high water....knowing that hundreds of boats there are simply dumping while at anchor
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:38   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

Where I am now, there are no pump out facilities. And I know few boats get beyond the 3 mile limit before letting go.

I’m a compost head user, so I mostly follow the rules .
Old 11-09-2018, 07:42   #12

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Some marina's with pump outs, maintain records, date of pump out and approximate volume pumped.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:48   #13

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

I am told, in the Great Lakes system, they have a well defined state-run and private mariana free pump-outs.
Supposedly, in the GL system, one can almost see from one state-run or private marina to the next.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:49   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navicula View Post
the hardest thing for me in georgetown bahamas is to step out of my dinghy at the beach and step into knee high water....knowing that hundreds of boats there are simply dumping while at anchor
There’re many more important things to worry about. The same thing happens at ALL public beaches everywhere in the world, only there you have thousands dooing it.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:04   #15

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
While you are making calls, perhaps you can get the the city of st pete to stop dumping millions of gallons of raw sewage into Boca Ciega bay every time it rains hard! No penalties for them though. That's just a case of s--t happens!
If you and everyone else in St Pete agree to triple your taxes to pay for the upgrade and vote into office politicians who promise to triple your taxes, the problem will be solved.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat