Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2017, 10:09   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450 Flybridge
Aquabase watermaker problem

I am trying to recomission my Aquabase ESW 105 system after winterizing (which may not have been done correctly)

The boat is still on the dry, so I am using the bucket for water input rather than the saltwater intake. On starting the system, water is pumped from the bucket but the system stops after about 5 seconds, after drawing about 1 litre water from the bucket. The salinity light comes on. I have cleaned the salinity sensor as per manual but tye problem persists.

I have bled the input water filter which was changed, but I still think there is air in the system (membranes?) which is causing the problem. On rinse water is being flushed overboard so some element of water flow is happening.

Any suggestions?
anthonyp0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 11:14   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Aquabase watermaker problem

1 – FIRST START-UP

Carry out this procedure when the watermaker is started for the first time or during restart after a general stop of many days. (Notably,
following a preservation procedure: biocide in the membranes)
Carrying out the start up procedure, and then returning the report form located at the end of this booklet to the factory (duly
completed, dated and signed) is MANDATORY FOR THE APPLICATION OF GUARANTEE. Never start the watermaker in a polluted
area: oil will clog membranes and chlorine will destroy membranes (risk not covered by the guarantee).

1. Check the correct connection (pump, filter, vaccum switch…) and the tightening of all water system fittings.

2. Check the presence of the 5μ cartridge in the filter (not clogged).

3. Check tightening of electrical connections.

4. Check that the electrical voltage supplied corresponds with that of the AQUA-BASE unit, and that the available power-supply is
sufficient.

5. Open the seawater inlet valve (V0) and the reject (R).

6. Put the valve (1) in seawater-supply position and the valve (11) must be in the reject position (back to the sea).

7. Open the air bleed valve (7) of the hydraulic amplifier (6).

8. Put the unit ON by opening the main breaker on "1".

9. Start the pump by pushing the “ON” (green) button (30). Make sure that sea water circulates correctly in the pump and towards the
5μ filter. For the first starting-up, it’s possible that the low pressure pump emits a noise with the air is discharged.

10. If the unit stops after a few seconds (5 sec), check that the inlet valve is opened and the strainer is not clogged. Then restart by
pressing the "ON" (green) button (30).

11. Let purge the circuit during at least 5 minutes, then close the air bleed valve (7) and check pressure increases progressively.
DRY OPERATION FOR MORE THAN 30 SECONDS WOULD IRREVERSIBLY DAMAGE THE PUMP. THE UNIT WILL STOP IN
LP FAULT MODE IF OPERATED DRY FOR 5 SECONDS

12. The pressure increases progressively in the system up to 40 / 65 bar (depends version). The production of fresh water is stable after
2 minutes (automatic reject of the production during 2 minutes).

13. Report the start-up operations on the form found at the end of the book (appendix). Return the copy back to the factory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ESW601 12volt 65l-h-b.jpg
Views:	1528
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	147833  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 11:27   #3

Thanks Cotemar

I did follow all that "first start up" procedure including opening the bleed for high pressure bleed but to no avail.
Old 15-05-2017, 11:38   #4

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyp0808 View Post
Thanks Cotemar

I did follow all that "first start up" procedure including opening the bleed for high pressure bleed but to no avail.
If it stops after 5 seconds their is usually a valve in the wrong direction ( A Restriction )

You may want to email Aquabase support if all the valves are in the correct positions.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 20:15   #5

Problem is sorted.

The system uses a vacuum switch (blue box attached to lower right side of membranes) to regulate flow. There was a blockage in this.

To isolate problem, the switch wiring in the main supply box was disconnected (pins 12 and 13). System worked when disconnected so problem must be with vacuum switch.

Remove vacuum switch, ensured red pipe to inlet pump is clear, cleaned vacuum pipe inlet, adjust vacuum switch via red screw on bottom.

FYI, the system is a ESW901.
Old 23-06-2018, 06:18   #6

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22

Hi
I have as Aquabase 65l/hr desal.
It has worked perfectly over two and a half seasons in the Med and we only use desal water on the boat.so we have made a lot!

Yesterday the unit started making a squeak every time it went through the pressure cycle and not the usual "clunk".
The pressure seemed a bit low on the gauges so I flushed it and replaced the quite dirty filter.

Pressure was up, clunk returned and no squeak. I figured it must have been supply pressure related.

Today it started off fine but after about 45 mins the squeak had returned but this time the clunk was still there and pressure seemed Ok?

Has anyone encountered a similar issue and should I be worried? Not always easy to get a repair done although I believe there is an Aquabase agent in Bodrum which is not too far away.

Any feedback appreciated.
MKB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 10:58   #7

Did you solve the squeak? We have the same issue.
22Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 13:23   #8

Yes I did. According to Aquabase it will not cause a problem but it can be fixed.
Their first suggestion was to run a glycerine solution through the system. This stopped the squeak for a short while but it came back.
Next suggestion was to introduce some silicon grease to the pressure accumulator. I will try to find their emails and post those. I had difficulty doing it exactly the way they suggested due to the way mine is mounted but i put a little in the water feed ports. Squeak gone.

I will post a bit more info when I am on my pc and not my phone.
Old 15-03-2022, 14:01   #9

Thanks. That would be great.
22Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 14:52   #10

Dave, send me your email in a PM. I will forward an email and also a PDF doc. Can't do it via the thread.
Old 10-08-2022, 04:08   #11

Hi MKB53

I have the same Aquabase 65 l/hr (ESW601) and would appreciate it if you could email the PDF and emails from SLCE.

Thanks
wings47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 07:11   #12

Hi Wings47
I will email them shortly.

Tags
water, watermaker