Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2015, 14:48   #1

Anyone tried the Cabin Cooler?

USA and Canada - AC, Aircondition för båtar i medelhavet,environmentally friendly aircondition, Låg energi

Looks interesting, but wondering if is is really effective?

- Rusty
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:32   #2

Re: Anyone tried the Cabin Cooler?

It appears to be a simple heat exchanger that pumps water through a radiator and blows a fan across it. Okay, that can work to provide some cooling. But not like they are claiming.

They say that, when the air temperature is 30C, if you can sink the heat exchanger to where the water is 14C then you will get 14C cool air into your cabin. I don't think so! Apparently they have never heard of the first law of thermodynamics. This thing is not going to be 100% efficient at converting the coolness of water deep under the keel into cool air in the cabin.

Given their exaggerated claims, I have to be extremely suspicious of everything else that they say. Still, depending on the price, it might be useful. It would be interesting to hear reports from someone who actually used one.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:30   #3
cruiser

You can build the same thing fairly cheaply. Do a Google for 'ice chest air conditioner' run your intake to the water instead of to an ice chest
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:48   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird1111 View Post
You can build the same thing fairly cheaply. Do a Google for 'ice chest air conditioner' run your intake to the water instead of to an ice chest
Ah...and where does one get the ice to fill the "ice chest" absent a fairly sturdy freezer backed by an even sturdier charging system?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:25   #5

Given that they want $451 for the "Cabin Cooler" I doubt anyone here is enough of a sucker to buy one to try.
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:54   #6
cruiser

hylyte:

please reread, carefully, my post
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:29   #7

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird1111 View Post
thought of this few years back, if you used a wind scoop on forward hatch with a auto radiator as the cover and feed the water to that from any depth would be a no brainer. just not sure how well or worth trouble... but.. if this thing works well and gets good reports i may give mine a go.
powsmias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:30   #8

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Seems like pumping water and running fans would draw more than 1 amp.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:02   #9

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Can you imagine the amount of condensation this thing would generate?

It only needs to draw enough power to make you think its "on".
Looks like crap. Save your $$ and get a little fan.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:14   #10

The concept is sound. In fact, most large buildings in the USA are cooled by blowing air across coils that have cold water circulating through them. Using water that is chilled naturally is far more efficient than using refrigeration cycle machinery.

As usual, the devil lies in the details. Since this is a simple device, air and water flow rates are constant. Therefore, the amount of cooling effect is determined by the temperature difference of the air and water. The greater the difference, the more cooling effect. Is it enough for your particular boat? I'd guess that for myself...where I anchor, moor, or tie up, the water is not cool enough.

The pump's amp draw is minimal since there is a column of water pushing down the same height as the column of water being pulled up. The fan's amp draw is low too, just 134 cfm and minimal obstruction. The amount of condensate would depend on the relative humidity of the air inside your boat and how cool the device will make it. This is no different than a refrigeration cycle machine, except that the machine can almost always get cold enough to produce condensate.

Lacking engineering performance data, the efficacy of the Cabin Cooler will need to be transmitted by anecdotal word-of-mouth, as Rusty requested. If the Cabin Cooler people would like me to test one and spread the word, I would be glad to install a free sample in my boat.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:40   #11

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

An interesting concept and one that I use in my Cessna. I have a commercial cooler that has a built in pump and power supply. Add a small amount of water for circulation and ice to chill the water. In the heat of ground operations in Florida it makes a great difference until reaching 3k feet where the air is cool enough to shut it off. It runs on it's own built in battery or can be connected to 12v or 120v for continuous use. Would it work for a complete cabin.... not likely but for a small cockpit it makes a nice difference. The down side is that fully loaded it will weigh in at about 60 lbs and takes up quite a bit of room. I recall paying about $325 shipped.
PuttingDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:55   #12

Boat: Hunter 30

I have no trouble with Florida heat during the day. It's sleeping that bothers me. I always wondered if anyone had a bed sheet you could lay on that circulated water from a cool layer under the boat, through the sheet and then overboard. Just a thought.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 14:16   #13

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailm8 View Post
I have no trouble with Florida heat during the day. It's sleeping that bothers me. I always wondered if anyone had a bed sheet you could lay on that circulated water from a cool layer under the boat, through the sheet and then overboard. Just a thought.
Makes sense. Even a simple device might be efficient enough (possibly even too efficient) if the cooling effect is led right to the target (you). A thermostat would probably be needed to avoid getting cold. Or maybe he device would not run all night but only few minutes to make the bed cool enough.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 15:02   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

It will only work well in cold water. It's made in Sweden and probably is great in ice water. Check your sea water temperature. If you can dive or snorkel w/o a wet suit the water is too warm to do much good.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 20:37   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailm8 View Post
Back in the olden days, when everything was way better than it is today, we didn't have luxurious trappings such as A/C. I used to get a top bed sheet damp then sleep under it, naked of course. The evaporation cooled me off enough to sleep; the sheet would be dry in the morning. A fan blowing across the sheet made it even cooler. Back in the olden days I lived in Utah, where the air is deliciously arid. I never tried a wet sheet on a boat; the humidity might be too high for it to work.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin