Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2012, 09:01   #1

Boat: Gulfstar, center cockpit, 44 - Pura Vida
Any Tips For mounting new waste hose?

In the midst of replacing the wast hoses in the forward head and have run into a problem. The vented loop is in such an awkward spot that i can't get enough leverage to mount the new hose. Any tricks for stretching out the mouth of the hose or lubricating the vent? Short of chopping holes in the walls of the head to gain better access, I am at a loss...
jonsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 16:55   #2

Boat: Beneteau 331
Re: Any Tips For mounting new waste hose?

Hi Jon, have you tried immersing the ends of the hose in hot water for 5 minutes, and putting dish washing liquid on the loop before pushing the hose on? That worked for me when I replumbed the head in my boat. If that fails, is it possible to dismount the vented loop, install the hoses when it's in a better position, and then remount? I know some hoses have a bit more stretch than others - usually in the specs they'll say the minimum radius turn it can handle, which gives you an idea of he stiff it is compared to a different hose type.
Hope that helps - I know that wrestling with that hose isn't a lot of fun.
Ben 331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 19:11   #3

Heat gun the ends, get them warmed up. It will loosen them up a great deal, including enough for you to kink or flap the hose over.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 19:26   #4
Marine Service Provider

It's just barely possible that at least part of the solution to your problem MIGHT be in putting the loop in another location. Are we talking about the intake vented loop or a loop in the head discharge line? If the intake, where are you trying to install it--a) in the line between the thru-hull and the pump or...b) between the pump and the bowl?

Warming the hose (I've always preferred a blow dryer to lugging pots of hot water from the galley to wherever the hose connection is), being careful not to over heat it, and lubing both the hose barb and the inside of the hose with dish washing liquid---or better yet, K-Y--should allow you to slip the hose well onto the barb...then double clamp, with screws 180 degrees apart.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 20:37   #5

Boat: Gulfstar, center cockpit, 44 - Pura Vida

Thanks for the tips. The trouble with moving the location of the loop is that there is no way to back out the mounting screws without tearing apart the cabinetry. Trying to avoid this. Will take a heat gun to that sucker and see how I do.
jonsuki is offline   Reply With Quote