Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2022, 18:34   #61

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: Air conditioning brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Yes, I have two auto transformers of 32A each so can just use 120V units and pumps. I currently have a 240V unit and 240V March LC3 but it’s all getting older…

I find the price difference amazing.
Ew! You have a lot of power there. My 10k btu unit needs only 7A @110v
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:50   #62

Boat: DeFever 44

I’m hearing Velair is planning a new line of variable-speed compressor self-contained units this year. Supposedly smaller footprints than current models, same components and more competitive pricing. They are also working on standing up a larger dealer/authorized repair network. Think I’ll wait to see how that plays out. Their current models are very attractive, just a bit large and pricey.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 16:06   #63

In addition to the above, Dometic is apparently unveiling a new line of variable-speed units, possibly in March.

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdoo...r-conditioning
Old 14-02-2022, 16:21   #64

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
I’m hearing Velair is planning a new line of variable-speed compressor self-contained units this year. Supposedly smaller footprints than current models, same components and more competitive pricing. They are also working on standing up a larger dealer/authorized repair network. Think I’ll wait to see how that plays out. Their current models are very attractive, just a bit large and pricey.
Any pointers to time frame for this or more info?
shimari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 16:22   #65

Hello everyone, I installed 8 Frigomar units on our boat 6 years ago and posted about them and our early experience at that time. We are now having to replace some of them and unfortunately have found that Frigomar no longer offers the 27k units. That puts me in the position of exploring alternatives. I cannot even consider a non-inverter a/c after expriencing the operation of the Frigomar. I cannot offer any opinion on the reliability of the Frigomar units as poor installation was a contributing factor.
So, I am trying to do a deep dive into Velair. No website? What's up with that? Maybe I need to go to the boat show">Miami boat show and get some face time.
Anyway, the question of coolant pumps keeps coming up: I used Koolair pm500 for the units up to 10k. I'm a big fan of Koolair. The 27k needed a higher capacity. When figuring out your power usage, please understand that the pump will run continuously when operating with a bldc a/c unit. The a/c unit might turn down to 30% capacity but the pump will still be drawing full power. That will cut into your power savings but I still want BLDC for the silent operation and reduced overally power usage.
got cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 17:03   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
Any pointers to time frame for this or more info?
Since I posted the above, I heard back from Velair that they’re targeting Sept. for their new line, subject to supply chain issues. They originally said the new units would be smaller than the current models, but the preliminary specs on the planned 10K unit look similar.

It’s a little frustrating trying to get technical info about Velair. They’re marketing leaves much to be desired and I can’t imagine why they don’t have a working website. I sent them some follow up questions and will post what I hear.
Old 14-02-2022, 17:33   #67

Thanks for the info. I'll look forward to whatever info I can get. I actually find it surprising that the marine market has not moved to inverter tech. Sure, it's marine environment but come on, are we denouncing all new tech? No lithium batteries? No solar? No inverters? Maybe no desalinization. I wouldn't think of a non inverter mini split and I want it on the boat too
got cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 03:13   #68

Boat: Seaquest46

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Since I posted the above, I heard back from Velair that they’re targeting Sept. for their new line, subject to supply chain issues. They originally said the new units would be smaller than the current models, but the preliminary specs on the planned 10K unit look similar.

It’s a little frustrating trying to get technical info about Velair. They’re marketing leaves much to be desired and I can’t imagine why they don’t have a working website. I sent them some follow up questions and will post what I hear.
Any further news from Velair? New models etc?
Ratel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2024, 06:41   #69

Plenty of options to choose from.
To date, not such a good experience with Frigomar (one of the most expensive).
We loved the write up and spec around the variable speed/power compressor. We just installed 2 Frigomar units in Saint Martin to keep us cool for work on board during the coming Caribbean Summer.
Unfortunately one failed in 2 hours of use due to a broken weld to one of the 3 compressor fixing studs. They removed the unit and then spent weeks deciding to replace it....during which for work and family reasons needed to move on.
The agent shipped it to a port near me in Puerto Rico...but Frigomar have charged me USD $450 for my pleasure of receiving a replacement unit that i will have to reinstall again.
Waiting for Frigomar to see if they will cover the replacement shipping costs...hopefully they will honour their website's policy to gain 'customer satisfaction' as a key driver of their business future.
We'll see.
Old 19-04-2024, 07:34   #70

Boat: Southerly 480

@Manta Joe - we had a warranty claim with Frigomar, and we had a good experience. It did take some time, but it was eventually handled well. The problem turned out to be an installation problem, and of course the installers are out of business. Frigomar never charged us for sending out a technician even though it wasn't their problem.
shimari is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning