Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 13:47   #1

Boat: Morris Justine
Aerogel Spaceloft for a box rebuild

I have become convinced the ice box on my '90 Morris Justine is not adequately insulated. I see condensation on the outside on hot, humid summer days and there is almost no insulation on the top of the box.

I was agonizing about ripping everything open (major cabinetry surgery) when I read a fantastic post by Richard Boren advocating a much simpler approach of building up from the inside with materials from Home Depot.

This is the approach I plan on taking. Because I'm saving so much time and money from the initial plan, I'm tempted to use Aspen Aerogel SPACELOFT insulation. I almost have to use something like the Aerogel because the bottom of my box is curved all the way up to the top following the contour of the hull.

My question is, can I just spray glue in a layer or two or Aerogel and a thin layer of FRP board from Home Depot and expect to be able to place all my food stuffs on it without crushing down the Aerogel? If not, I guess I'll have to build in dividing strips to support the weight, but that means many smaller pieces of cut Aerogel glued in between the support dividers. Not ideal from an insulation point of view, but perhaps, still a huge improvement.

Thoughts?
MooGroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 13:57   #2

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38
Re: Aerogel Spaceloft for a box rebuild

Aerogel is like a felt blanket, cut with scissors. Easy enough to cut holes to accommodate load bearing struts or whatever you call those. On the other hand, I don't really think it's even necessary, I don't think it compresses too much - but do ask the manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 14:01   #3

Great insulation, I redid our fridge and I'm only sipping amps now.
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 18:02   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

What is a source for the material??
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 19:11   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

EBAY.

aerogel | eBay

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 16:45   #6

Boat: Allied Seabreeze 35

I am just now in the final stages of my ice box conversion. I was concerned about compressing the Aerogel also. It is in fact pretty difficult to compress. Considering the expense of using Aerogel, I chose to take no short cuts. This is not a job you want to repeat anytime soon. I installed 3.2 inches of AG (Aerogel) in the floor of the fridge and patterned a 3/8ths inch thick piece of epoxy saturated and glassed on side plywood floor. Placed that on the AG and glassed the new floor to the surrounding walls. This created a very strong floor, without the need to create supports. Trust me you do not want to spend lots of time cutting and piecing AG. The product has demonstrated remarkable results according to may posts here.

Good luck with your project.
stbdtack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 16:54   #7

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40

I used Aerogel Spaceloft glued around the outside of my 12v Isotherm fridge freezer. It made an amazing difference in both reducing cabinet temperature and compressor running time. Great help for cruising in our Australian tropical temperatures. Not the nicest to cut and handle. You need full covering, a mask and good ventilation, not an easy ask when working in boats!!
PaulMarion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild