Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 16:07   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Aerated Effluent

I recently refit the March pump, strainer and some hoses for my Cruisaire Air Conditioning system. All is working well, but my effluent water is milky, as if it were aerated. I went back to check the secure and tight fit of all my hose clamps and pump seals, but the outflow is still milky. My hose from the through hull to the strainer is slightly constricted at a long bend, but I was not thinking that this minor constriction would have this effect. ...thoughts? Wouldn't any air comming into the system be before the pump, while any leak after the pump would result in water out and not air in? I'm looking for ideas because the "quick easy fix" didn't pan out for me.
Old 03-05-2013, 16:19   #2

Boat: C&C 38'
Re: Aerated Effluent

Actually a leak after the pump could act like a venturi or a jet pump and suck air into the discharge water. Indeed, there is a fitting that sucks out the condesate water and adds it to the overboard disgharge water to prevent it from just going into the bilges.
Old 03-05-2013, 16:52   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Aerated Effluent

Thanks, Cowboy Sailor. That's a valid idea, but I solved my aeration problem by recalling my own "airhead" mistake. I remembered that I have a backflush tube with a shut off valve above the waterline that can recieve a hose to blow debris from my influent through-hull. I steped out to my cockpit and shut the valve that I found was open,- instant cure! Sometimes I worry about having to follow the long route to solve such an easy problem! Oh well, maybe I won't make this mistake again!