Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2020, 07:11   #1

Boat: Pearson 365
Adler-Barbour CU-100 Questions

I have an older (2002) cold machine. Trying to o[ptimize it for my spillover system with an estimated 3 cubic foot freezer and a six cubic foot fridge. The fridge is well insulated 4" iso foam on all sides including top with tight fitting lids. The setup originally had a freezer evaporator bent to a box shape-I unbent it carefully and turned it into a Ushaped evaporator in the freezer. Makes loads of ice and keeps everything frozen hard. Fridge and freezer get very cold but stratified and vegetables freeze. I have bought a digital t-stat that allows me to adjust the differential. Tstat sensor is on the evap plate embedded in a silcon blob to even out swings. Don't know which danforth compressor it uses-could be a BD35 or a BD50. I do know it is rated for up to 15 cubic foot fridge. Seems a bit of a hog with a 5.0 amp draw rating. Has a shroud and a fan but is in a locker close to the engine and draws from that cockpit locker space. Longer term I may try to prode a ventilation source outside the locker such as the cabin air or the bilge.

Problem I am trying to solve: I'm hoping a spillover circulating fan will reduce the run time, even out the temp gradient and eliminate produce freezing. The tstat sensor calls for cooling when much of the freezer is way colder-even though the sensor is embedded in silicon. The electonic panel attached to the compressor has two fan connections-one for the condensor and I guess one for a box fan. It also has a pump connection but I don;t think there is the cooling tubes for a seawater feed-nor do I want one.

Questions:
1.If I hook up a muffin fan to the non-condensor fan connections marked with a little "f"-will the muffin fan only come one when the compressor is running or is it independent of the compressor run time?
2.The digital thermostat is a lot easier to access, could I jumper off of that to run the fridge fan whenever the tstat calls for run time?
3. Is this such an antique I should consider replacing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cu100 logic board.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	224160   Click image for larger version

Name:	cold machine.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	224161  

jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 07:16   #2

Boat: Pearson 365
Re: Adler-Barbour CU-100 Questions

second picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cold machine.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	224163  
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 12:43   #3

Re: Adler-Barbour CU-100 Questions

Wire it to an outside source, and switch it with the tstat.
Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote