Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2021, 19:18   #1

Adler Barbour BD 2.5 Will Not Cool

I have an old AB Cold Machine with a BD 2.5 compressor that has performed well during the 22 years I have owned the boat. When the unit is turned on, the fan runs, gurgling sounds come from the evaporator and the amp gauge shows a draw of 5 amps. It is difficult to confirm that the compressor is running but the amperage draw would indicate that it is. The unit will run continuously, the compressor gets warm but not hot and there is no cooling in the evaporator.
I disconnected the fan to check for excessive fan current draw causing the problem. I jumped the thermostat terminals on the electronic module to eliminate that cause. I connected a fully charged, fused independent battery with heavy wire directly to the control module to eliminate the boat system as the problem. Are there any other trouble shooting steps to take before I get the unit leak checked/serviced with R12 freon?
windseeker33647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:29   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Adler Barbour BD 2.5 Will Not Cool

Compressor running without stopping, drawing 5 normal amps, your ammeter reading is incorrect. Compressor runs but only gets warm indicates also low on refrigerant.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:37   #3

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
Compressor running without stopping, drawing 5 normal amps, your ammeter reading is incorrect. Compressor runs but only gets warm indicates also low on refrigerant.
Richard, I am interested in just what 5 normal amps are, are they different from 5 abnormal amps or are they something I have not heard of before?
This enquiring mind wants to know as I am sure others do as well.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:55   #4

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Low on gass a sure bet ,gas charge should be checked about every two years ,.⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:09   #5
cruiser

Boat: 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Richard, I am interested in just what 5 normal amps are, are they different from 5 abnormal amps or are they something I have not heard of before?
And quoting 'amps' without relating to voltage is vague at best, but its reasonable to assume that it refers to a 12VDC supply.
OzeLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:25   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Bob and Louie need to stop the childishness Innuendos read the OP.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:27   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Have you cleaned the condenser? Is the line coming back from the box to the compressor "cold".

BTW - are you guys really going to start another personal post war aganist each other? We don't you join a chatroom.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:32   #8

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Twenty-two years. You got a lot of good use out of that system. Time to pay about $1,500 for a new, more efficient Cold Machine rather than dumping good money into patching up the old one.

Trying to prolong the life of an ancient piece of electronic machinery is a sure way to vanish a lot of cash in a losing battle.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:51   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Have you cleaned the conds the line coming back from the box to the compressor "cold".
sailorboy you may be on the right track if he reports back high pressure reading higher than normal. Except compressor is not reported hot.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:02   #10
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
sailorboy you may be on the right track if he reports back high pressure reading higher than normal. Except compressor is not reported hot.
I feel compressor being "hot" is a pretty big judgement item that may be meaningful or meaningless unless you have idea what was was normally like in past
Old 07-06-2021, 11:59   #11

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

probably needs a recharge in the refrigerant. There are compatible refrigerants available. easy DIY
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:24   #12

I appreciate all of the feedback. I rechecked the voltage and amp readings with the icebox on and off. I also checked with the fan disconnected.

Steady state with ice box off 12.68. 00.2

Steady state with the icebox on. 12.49. 04.5

Steady state with the fan disconnected. 12.44. 04.4

The compressor does not get “hot” after running with the fan on...closer to luke warm.

The condenser is physically clean. Was the reference to cleaning it focused on the inside of the condenser tubes?

Thanks again to all for your analysis and comments.
Old 07-06-2021, 13:13   #13
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by windseeker33647 View Post
The compressor does not get “hot” after running with the fan on...closer to luke warm.

The condenser is physically clean. Was the reference to cleaning it focused on the inside of the condenser tubes?

Thanks again to all for your analysis and comments.
No it was to be sure it was getting air across it.

So is the the refrigerant return tube to the compressor from the box cold?
Old 07-06-2021, 13:32   #14
Marine Service Provider

Voltages and amperage are not your problem as compressor started up and is running.
The BD2.5 compressor with freon R12 will draw at least 5 amps ten minutes after start up on a 70 degree day. It will remain at 5 amps till frost is present on evaporator after there should be a slight amperage reduction.

Five amps is normal, three amps all most no cooling. At 4.4 is not good and a ammeter error of one amp or more less, there will be no cooling. I am sorry to say your unit needs more R12 refrigerant the amount 3 to 5 ounces by weight. If you are not in a very warm climate one of the blended substitutes can be used temporally. But remember there will still be a leak to repair. At 22 years of age there is a good chance thin aluminum plate evaporator is failing with interior corrosion pin holes and it is not repairable.
Old 07-06-2021, 17:38   #15

The refrigerant return line is not cold. Both lines are ambient temperature.