Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2020, 10:21   #1
TCL

Boat: 1979 Morgan 461, 46' sloop
Adding a washdown pump

I want to add a saltwater washdown pump on my Morgan 461.

I have an unused BTW through-hull, currently capped off, located in a perfect spot in the engine room below a shelf where a pump would fit.

I've read/heard that one should have a dedicated through-hull for a washdown pump, and this would be. Here's the question:

Is there any reason why it would be a bad idea to go from the washdown pump to a Y-valve, splitting between (1) a line going forward to a fitting for a washdown hose at the bow for washing down the anchor and rode and (2) a line going aft (much less distance) to a fitting for a washdown hose aft of the center cockpit for washing down the aft deck (fish guts, blood, etc.)?

I realize having the pump situated a long way away from the bow washdown hose will decrease the pressure, but this seems like a better solution than installing two pumps and an additional through-hull.

Please let me know if I'm missing something. Thanks.
TCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 10:37   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Adding a washdown pump

No real problem with a Y or T on the discharge side. If you use both sides at once you may be disappointed in the flow, but otherwise one will sit there fat, dumb, and happy while you use water from the other side. And with a decent hose you shouldn't have any problem at the bow with a pump aft. The only downside is that there are more places for a leak to develop, but that is true of nearly every plumbing system. And compared with two pumps and throughulls....
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 10:48   #3

Re: Adding a washdown pump

Should be fine. The bow is the most important location for that washdown hose really. Just remember, any leak in all that long under floor hose could result in putting water in the boat.... depending on your pump.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump