Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2021, 19:04   #1

Boat: Mason 44
Accumulator placement in freshwater system

I've done a lot of searching, and the best I can find is that an accumulator "can" be installed inline or Tee'd off the main water line.

My fresh water system is old, sticky poly pipes, with multiple leaky joints. I want to replace with PEX. My question is: for the accumulator tank, should this be inline directly after the water pressure pump, or can it be Tee'd off (also directly after the pump). Are there advantages either way?

Thanks
maclysaght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 19:13   #2

Re: Accumulator placement in freshwater system

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclysaght View Post
I've done a lot of searching, and the best I can find is that an accumulator "can" be installed inline or Tee'd off the main water line.

My fresh water system is old, sticky poly pipes, with multiple leaky joints. I want to replace with PEX. My question is: for the accumulator tank, should this be inline directly after the water pressure pump, or can it be Tee'd off (also directly after the pump). Are there advantages either way?

Thanks
There is no real difference one way or another. Do what is easiest. Doesn't have to be close to the pump, either. Since water is basically non-compressible, pressure everywhere in the system is the same. There is no real issue about placement, as long as you put it before the various branches of the system separate.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 20:10   #3

Boat: Mason 44

BillKny,
Thanks, that's good to hear. This will simplify my re-fit. My current accumulator also has a separate pressure gauge on the supply line, but since I don't know what it's sowing, will probably eliminate it.
maclysaght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 04:27   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

Devices similar to your accumulator are often placed immediately on the output of positive displacement pumps as "pulsation dampeners" to quieten the water hammer these pumps produce.
Old 15-02-2021, 05:35   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Most small pressure pumps are diaphram type, so they have some damping properties of their own relative to piston pumps, and the PVC/PEX expands slightly as well under pressure. With the accumulator out of the system, consider running a faucet and deciding whether you actually need an accumulator. You don't want water hammers, as RaymondR suggests, but you may find a pretty even flow. As another measure, listen for the strokes of the pump after you turn off use of the water at a faucet - that's the pump stretching the pipes, or if you like, accumulating.
Old 15-02-2021, 10:02   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

Shurflo pumps don’t need an accumulator as they have a bypass system. We changed out our Jabsco as the wife didn’t like how noisy it was when I was showering and she was watching all important TV. The Shurflo did have higher pressure which caused a few leaks but I backed the pressure off and tightened hose clamps and all is good and the wife loves me sort of.
philcun50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 13:26   #7

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Yep, tkeithlu, I agree. When replacing my very old, quite possibly original, fresh water pipe, pump, etc, i removed my accumulator. I confirmed as much with Dave Brannam of rvwaterfilterstore.com, who sold me my current pump and cannister filters. All new hot/cold is pex (red/blue) with sharkbite connections. My boat is rather simple, 2 sinks - 1 in galley, 1 in head, both driven by electric water pump. Also have separate hand pump mounted at galley sink. Two water tanks, 1 is 85 gal, rigid fiberglass, 1 is 35 gal Nauta flexible under starbrd settee. 10 gal water heater is mounted in engine compartment just above stuffing box..So far so good, but only 2yrs old...System works w/o accumulator altho canister filter (need to look up specs) restricts flow some. thnks dave
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 13:49   #8

Tee'd off, there is no "pass through" on accumulators.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 14:57   #9

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

My pump has a microswitch that will fail if it follows every fluctuation of diaphragm pump, which it did, my accumulator had unknowingly failed, hard to get replacement due to cost/size/fittings made do with dilation of plastic pipe principle, so I bought cheap garden hose loosened its store binding, uncoiled a little and made do with standard quick connect fittings. I also gained some spare fill hose if I need it.

My pump leakes a little at times (internal not external), prefer to turn it off when not in use, accumulator will give me another couple of cups, also have a a whale pump that has carbon filter.
Old 15-02-2021, 18:55   #10

Boat: Taswell 43

I would strongly recommend you buy an accumulator with a diaphragm in it. Without it, it will waterlog quickly, and then must be drained to re-establish the air charge(the...what's compressed stuff). Even the air bladder accumulator we have needs to be checked/recharged on occasion. When the pump starts and stops every time a water valve is opened, you know it needs to be attended to.
We "T"ed ours in just after the pump and water filter, before any user taps.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 19:27   #11

I've used this Jabsco accumulator on several boats. Just a liter but makes all the difference. I use it even with pumps that claim they don't need an accumulator. It always helps.

It connects inline at the output from the pressure pump. It has a bladder that is easy to "recharge" if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-Accumu.../dp/B07CKFDBN6
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, water