Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2019, 07:47   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 241
A Tip For Spectra Watermaker Installers

Check the tightness of all the factory high pressure fittings BEFORE installing!!!

Ours leaked on first startup. Unfortunately, we are needing to get a tool made to tighten the fittings because there isn't enough room for normal width spanners. We're in the Caribbean and don't have much in the way of tool selection.

This is a dealer doing the install.
__________________

crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 08:08   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
tkeithlu's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Carrabelle, Florida
Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Posts: 1,941
Re: A Tip For Spectra Watermaker Installers

Amen. I have a Spectra, I installed it, but it leaks whenever I turn it on.

Have you got space for tools? I'm of the mind of don't leave home without them, even if just to save the cost of having yard personnel fix that leak. So far, my experience is that I do repairs of my own, but also am asked to help by other cruisers at marinas because they can't, for example, tighten an alternator belt that is squealing.
__________________

__________________
Never let anything mechanical know that you are in a hurry.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 08:13   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 241
Re: A Tip For Spectra Watermaker Installers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Amen. I have a Spectra, I installed it, but it leaks whenever I turn it on.

Have you got space for tools? I'm of the mind of don't leave home without them, even if just to save the cost of having yard personnel fix that leak. So far, my experience is that I do repairs of my own, but also am asked to help by other cruisers at marinas because they can't, for example, tighten an alternator belt that is squealing.
I was unaware that specialty tools where necessary. Unfortunately, the installer has found several more leaks. All factory fittings. High pressure, low pressure, and filter housing.

Unbelievable.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 09:39   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 241
Re: A Tip For Spectra Watermaker Installers

It was found that many gaskets we're not installed from the factory. There were widespread leaks in most fittings. Most have been fixed after a couple trips to the chandlery. The couple are I'm the quick disconnect fittings and are proving a bit difficult.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 09:50   #5
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Jacksonville/ out cruising
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 30,021
Re: A Tip For Spectra Watermaker Installers

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
Check the tightness of all the factory high pressure fittings BEFORE installing!!!



Ours leaked on first startup. Unfortunately, we are needing to get a tool made to tighten the fittings because there isn't enough room for normal width spanners. We're in the Caribbean and don't have much in the way of tool selection.



This is a dealer doing the install.


You may want to look into what is called “Crows feet” there are some of course made specifically for lines, which is what I would get, not the open end ones.

An example
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Crescent-10...0aAh37EALw_wcB
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 09:58   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 241
Re: A Tip For Spectra Watermaker Installers

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You may want to look into what is called “Crows feet” there are some of course made specifically for lines, which is what I would get, not the open end ones.

An example
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Crescent-10...0aAh37EALw_wcB
We took an open end wrench to a machine shop and the ground it down to make it thinner.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 16:30   #7
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Tellie's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hollywood, Fl.
Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Posts: 3,445
Re: A Tip For Spectra Watermaker Installers

We sell a thinner 13/16" open end wrench for just that job. You are correct it is a very tight fit for a normal wrench.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 17:35   #8
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Jacksonville/ out cruising
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 30,021
Re: A Tip For Spectra Watermaker Installers

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
We took an open end wrench to a machine shop and the ground it down to make it thinner.


I’ve ground down a few myself, but if you want to they of course are made and aren’t expensive when you get to where you can get a set of course
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Capri-To...waApcOEALw_wcB
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 10:00   #9
Registered User
 
srbigham's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seabrook Tx
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Posts: 2
Re: A Tip For Spectra Watermaker Installers

Interesting, for the price of units the only leaks should be connections that I make during install not on the unit itself. Dumb question coming....Has Spectra been notified of the deficiencies?
__________________
Another Sailor
S/V Aleshanee; Oceanis 400
Seabrook TX
srbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 10:17   #10
Registered User
 
Sailshabby's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Deltaville, VA
Boat: Baba 40
Posts: 321
Re: A Tip For Spectra Watermaker Installers

Is there any information on serial numbers affected (a particular run, perhaps, of problem units)?
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 10:25   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 241
Re: A Tip For Spectra Watermaker Installers

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbigham View Post
Interesting, for the price of units the only leaks should be connections that I make during install not on the unit itself. Dumb question coming....Has Spectra been notified of the deficiencies?
It may have just been a unit assembled on a Friday...

The leaking fittings is something that can be fixed after making the right tool. It's the missing gasket for the prefilter that is proving to be the biggest issue. Can't seem to find that size o-ring where we're at.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 12:07   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 241
Re: A Tip For Spectra Watermaker Installers

We just spent an entire day looking at all the stores in Martinique that could carry the o-ring and struck out. Unfortunately, Spectra was helpful only in letting me know the part number. Looks like a $1 o-ring is shutting down a new 11,000 euro watermaker.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 12:12   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,008
Re: A Tip For Spectra Watermaker Installers

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
It may have just been a unit assembled on a Friday...

The leaking fittings is something that can be fixed after making the right tool. It's the missing gasket for the prefilter that is proving to be the biggest issue. Can't seem to find that size o-ring where we're at.
This is why every boat should carry both an imperial and metric size o-ring kit so you can make you your own o-rings to any size whenever and whereever needed.

Like these: https://amzn.to/33aHglQ
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 12:24   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 241
Re: A Tip For Spectra Watermaker Installers

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
This is why every boat should carry both an imperial and metric size o-ring kit so you can make you your own o-rings to any size whenever and whereever needed.

Like these: https://amzn.to/33aHglQ

Totally agree. We took possession of the boat in the Caribbean and are doing our best to get it all sorted but there is such limited availability if tools and parts it makes it difficult.

A lot of people like to say how easy it is to shop things to certain islands but that hasn't proven to be the case.

That said, we're sailors so we'll figure it out.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 12:32   #15
Registered User
 
Dsanduril's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Petersburg, AK
Boat: Outremer 50S
Posts: 2,965
Re: A Tip For Spectra Watermaker Installers

What's the part #/size? Might be able to get one into overnight post for you.

Option B, even though the unit is new, is to buy a filter housing and cartridge, I know I saw complete kits in Le Marin last year. Won't be identical, and Spectra might have something to say about warranty, but there is nothing really special about a 5-micron filter set of the same general capacity.
__________________

Dsanduril is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water, watermaker

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSB installation, installers and interference garu Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 16 26-06-2019 12:40
Calling Marine Electronics Installers RoyL Marine Electronics 8 11-03-2019 12:13
Moreton Bay Swing Mooring Installers Dave_S Anchoring & Mooring 15 30-12-2018 03:51
Searching for Solar Installers in Florida ahoymon General Sailing Forum 1 04-11-2017 18:52
electronics installers near Ft. Myers? Cap Cod Bay General Sailing Forum 3 15-11-2016 13:52

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:27.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.