Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2022, 19:34   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
A new small air conditioner

This one looks promising.

1000 watthour battery runs it for a long time, according to the ad/article.

Could be just right for cooling staterooms and not using a lot of power.

https://the-gadgeteer.com/2022/08/13...tent-outdoors/
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 22:28   #2

Boat: 1956 Bud McIntosh 36' schooner
Re: A new small air conditioner

An interesting idea. I built a small portable AC into my bulkhead for being at the marina, but never considered an AC unit with a battery backup.

Does it have a dual voltage motor?
thesaltytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2022, 02:13   #3

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

We have one. It's pretty well designed and functions as expected. The huge benefit is the dual hose design keeping the hot side from drawing in outside air.

We also have the battery, which I'd be less inclined to buy if you could just run it off the house bank.
Old 16-08-2022, 02:52   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

A few boats back the bride said we must have air. So I made a cooling device with some fans a bilge pump and a Chevy heater core. Made cold air did use much juice. Our current boat just had its air repaired. It was broken by us. It takes up tons of space under the dinette and luggage and couch jumpers snapped a part. In an option list we’ve poured over the Generator is 19k and the air is 10k. It’s more than my must have power winches. Ugh.
I don’t want to discourage you more but I’m sceptical on web sites selling “ not available in stores”. It just seems yet another way to market non approved Chinese Goods to illegally enter. While I wouldn’t know what to look for in air conditioning the author evaluates a copy of a European 3D printer with an advanced dual head. 3D printers I’m a pro. The printer he described reminding us he gets a commission if you buy one is one of the many 3D printers from China which function almost like a 3D printer for a very short while. Approvals they will print the sticker you’d like to see. I sure would not leave one unattended and since that’s impossible in 3D printing it’s not a viable purchase. The one distributor in Canada is trying to return stock. Voxel in Montreal said “ don’t buy it and we won’t sell it. I can tell you 80% of their business is on line.
It’s not that 3D is anti Chinese Polymaker makes great plastics in China they just are rarely used in Chinese goods.
Many of the cooling cubes add a fine mist of moist air which evaporates on the skin but adds humidity in the long run.
I’m plugged into a similar electronics guy evaluating products. I’d say 70% was novel junk
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2022, 03:03   #5

Boat: Privilege 39+2'

SV_FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2022, 04:24   #6

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
A few boats back the bride said we must have air. So I made a cooling device with some fans a bilge pump and a Chevy heater core. Made cold air did use much juice. Our current boat just had its air repaired. It was broken by us. It takes up tons of space under the dinette and luggage and couch jumpers snapped a part. In an option list we’ve poured over the Generator is 19k and the air is 10k. It’s more than my must have power winches. Ugh.
I don’t want to discourage you more but I’m sceptical on web sites selling “ not available in stores”. It just seems yet another way to market non approved Chinese Goods to illegally enter. While I wouldn’t know what to look for in air conditioning the author evaluates a copy of a European 3D printer with an advanced dual head. 3D printers I’m a pro. The printer he described reminding us he gets a commission if you buy one is one of the many 3D printers from China which function almost like a 3D printer for a very short while. Approvals they will print the sticker you’d like to see. I sure would not leave one unattended and since that’s impossible in 3D printing it’s not a viable purchase. The one distributor in Canada is trying to return stock. Voxel in Montreal said “ don’t buy it and we won’t sell it. I can tell you 80% of their business is on line.
It’s not that 3D is anti Chinese Polymaker makes great plastics in China they just are rarely used in Chinese goods.
Many of the cooling cubes add a fine mist of moist air which evaporates on the skin but adds humidity in the long run.
I’m plugged into a similar electronics guy evaluating products. I’d say 70% was novel junk
He would not make any money if he said the products are crap.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2022, 04:48   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Which is exactly why we have checks and measures like CSA UL ULc SAE ETL CE which Asia print at free will
An independent lab hired by the media tested portable heaters from popular retailers after a rash of fires. Turns out of over 20 tested only one met the CE UL CSA label on the product Philips. Philip’s spokesperson stated we are leaving the portable heater business as we can not compete with the price point. All other portable electric heaters from Target and Walmart had fraudulent approval stickers with numbers in many cases from manufactures on different continents.
The approval label fraud is massive an no one with out the skill sets has business recommending something dangerous just cause he needs a commission cheque.
The 3D printer he gives thumbs up to is a fire hazard and has a fake ETL and CE sticker on it. They do not have a UL file at all
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2022, 04:53   #8

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_MO View Post
Looks pretty good! I watched the whole video. On the whole, it’s not bad.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2022, 05:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Looks pretty good! I watched the whole video. On the whole, it’s not bad.

Sounds, cool to me. [emoji41]
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2022, 06:41   #10
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

The ecoflow is still pretty bulky. For a single cabin, one of the smaller ones might do, such as
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B2N1Q3SK...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I suspect the other portable power station brands such as jackerry and bluetti might bring out similar products too.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2022, 07:03   #11

Boat: Hunter 36

I bought a similar air conditioner last year called the Zero Breeze Mark 2. I reviewed it here, if anyone wants to see:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...er-251683.html

I prefer the shape of the Zero Breeze, since it has a robust, comfortable handle. But everything else looks extremely similar to the Ecoflow - very similar weight and battery life, similar price. One difference - it looks like the ecoflow has wi-fi, the Zero Breeze uses a small remote control instead.

I like the Zero Breeze, but I just don't use it nearly as often as I expected. When I'm on shore power I use my built in air conditioning. When I'm off the hook it will cool down a cabin pretty well, but it takes up a lot of space in a small cabin, and you have to set up the tubing so the heat goes out, and that takes up space.

You can put it outside instead, and aim the blowers inward, then it doesn't take up space in the cabin, but you have to be careful that its not going to rain. It takes a really long time to recharge those batteries too.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote