Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2021, 07:40   #1

Boat: Endeavour TrawlerCat 48
48' Cat: Chiller or Split HVAC?

Our 48 foot Endeavour power catamaran came with three self-contained reverse-cycle 18k BTU A/C units, all put in pretty terrible places, and piped really awkwardly through the multiple rooms of the boat. All three units are ~13 years old now, are rusting out, starting to have controllers flake out, and all of the water lines need replacing. Given our general annoyance with this system, I'm exploring what the "right" complete system replacement would look like.

Requirements:
* Individually control cooling/heat to 5 different rooms (3 bedrooms, upper/lower salon), 2 bathrooms on top that'd be nice to be able to support as well
* The upstairs 18k A/C can't keep up on most warmer days -- too many windows -- so I'd like to be able to focus more cooling capacity up there
* Energy efficient enough to run one or two smaller zones (bedrooms) overnight on batteries like we can now (30kwh 48v lithium 10kva inverter setup)
* Ability to integrate diesel-based heat for when we move back to the west coast in a couple years

I think, if I want all three of those things, a chiller system is the only one that is even possible -- I don't know of any way to integrate diesel heat into a split system? Is that where you'd all land too? Is a chiller system at least roughly as efficient as a self-contained unit for cooling a single room, so we'd expect comparable or less energy usage than our current setup for running overnight on batteries? We could also make it only cool one room instead of the current setup that cools 3 bedrooms and a bathroom from the one unit, so in theory would be able to use much less power.

Tags
hvac