Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2021, 13:04   #1

Boat: S2 35C
2 lb. Propane tank

Greetings! Hopefully this is in the right slot...I’m looking for a hand finding a refillable 2 lb. propane tank for my sailboat. I’m currently using a refillable 1lb., but I think my propane locker would accommodate a 2lb. Anyone have a source for such a thing?

Thanks for the help!
ojsdna744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 13:22   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: 2 lb. Propane tank

The USDOT regulations under which lightweight disposable propane cylinders are made impose a size limit of approximately one pound. Larger cylinders are the refillable type that have a thicker wall. The smallest standard size is five pounds in steel and six pounds in aluminum.

Flame King makes a caddy that connects two one-pound cylinders together, which may meet your needs. Though they sell it as an accessory for their one-pound refillable cylinders, it will work just as well with one-pound disposable cylinders.
Old 12-07-2021, 13:25   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

the smallest standard refillable size is 5lbs. Propane lockers on sailboats are more typically sized for 11lb steel or 10lb aluminum (different shapes) you'll have a hard time finding a 2lb tank let alone a propane place that knows how to charge appropriately to fill a 2lb tank.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 14:17   #4

Boat: S2 35C

I appreciate the responses. We currently have a 1lb. tank that is refillable. It’s literally a tiny version of your propane grill tank, just in a 1lb. size. We just run it to TSC and have them fill it when it’s time, it’s never a big deal other than the comments that it’s the cheapest refill they’ve ever done!

2 years ago, I had a line on where to buy a 2lb tank that was approx the same diameter to fit in the cubby, but got sidetracked and lost the info. Now I’m struggling to find it. We don’t live aboard (yet), but often cruise a week or two at a time around the Great Lakes, it’s be handy to have!

Thanks again
ojsdna744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 15:08   #5

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Could you be mixing up lbs and gallons?
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 16:01   #6
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

I had a UHAUL place refuse to fill my aluminum 10lb. tank. They said they only filled BBQ tanks.
Old 12-07-2021, 16:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojsdna744 View Post
I appreciate the responses. We currently have a 1lb. tank that is refillable. It’s literally a tiny version of your propane grill tank, just in a 1lb. size. We just run it to TSC and have them fill it when it’s time, it’s never a big deal other than the comments that it’s the cheapest refill they’ve ever done!

2 years ago, I had a line on where to buy a 2lb tank that was approx the same diameter to fit in the cubby, but got sidetracked and lost the info. Now I’m struggling to find it. We don’t live aboard (yet), but often cruise a week or two at a time around the Great Lakes, it’s be handy to have!

Thanks again
I was able to find a 1 gallon (4.25 lb) tank at Home Depot https://www.homedepot.com/p/Worthing...1149/202034835 which is like a mini grill tank but that was the smallest I could find. If you find a source for anything smaller please let me know, at the 1 gallon is just slightly too large for the Mahe 36 propane locker designed for a European gaz tank.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 07:18   #8

Like cal40john said, I suspect strongly that you are confusing pounds and gallons. I have never seen, or heard of, a 1 pound refillable tank. I have, however, seen 1 gallon refillable tanks, and personally own a 2 gallon refillable tank.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 07:48   #9

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Like cal40john said, I suspect strongly that you are confusing pounds and gallons. I have never seen, or heard of, a 1 pound refillable tank. I have, however, seen 1 gallon refillable tanks, and personally own a 2 gallon refillable tank.

Here is a link to the manufacturer's site for the 1 pound refillable tanks. They are presently difficult to find in stores due to high demand and production problems, but show up pretty regularly on ebay. Ordinarily most of the home centers carry them.

https://flameking.com/product/flmkng164lp/
Old 13-07-2021, 08:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
He's right 1lb refillables are available. On the other hand Propane tanks aren't usually measured, sold or refilled in "gallons", its commonly by pounds. Eg 5lb, 10/11lb, 20lb tanks.

It only seems to be fixed home sized tanks that are in gallons e.g 500 gallon tanks
Old 13-07-2021, 08:09   #11

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Here's a smaller propane tank

https://youtu.be/o4J4hJoJFHg
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 08:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
Here's a smaller propane tank

https://youtu.be/o4J4hJoJFHg
Thats dyneema splicing.
Old 13-07-2021, 08:22   #13

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Here is a link to the manufacturer's site for the 1 pound refillable tanks. They are presently difficult to find in stores due to high demand and production problems, but show up pretty regularly on ebay. Ordinarily most of the home centers carry them.
https://flameking.com/product/flmkng164lp/
Learn something new everyday. Never saw a refillable 1lb tank and just assumed the the OP was using an adapter to refill the camp stove ones.

For the OP, depending on how fast you go through 1lb, how about getting another 1lb for back up? Have seen appropriately sized pvc tubes mounted on stanchions to hold extra grill/screw in camp stove bottles and assume this could also work in this situation.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 08:32   #14

Boat: Hunter 356 35'6"

I am going to get a 5lb steel tank, Worthington part# 281149 as it is what we have now but rusted and not certified (too old), will run out and destroy. Look at camper/RV stores...

Jeff
jeff356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 11:21   #15

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

aluminum tank here. Like dyneema rigging video but different lol

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/worth...84?recordNum=2
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane