Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2021, 19:57   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
1st time replacing water pump; can I upgrade or need same model?

I have a Johnson Pump WPS 3.4 12V No. 10-13250-09
(see photo below)

I'm assuming it's 3.4 gallons per hour... I can't seem to find the same model online. Can I upgrade? Is 3.5 the same? Or, can I order something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T7JRQ49

Johnson Pumps 10-13407-07 Aqua Jet 5.2 Wash Down Pump, 12V

I do have an accumulator tank and I think it's working okay.

Actually, my current pump seems okay... but it may be clogged. When I took off the MESH INLET STRAINER, it was FILTHY

It was clogged with gooey, nasty, filthy stuff... I guess it's after the winter water bacteria growth. Should I try to fix/clean the current pump or just replace it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7491.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	404.9 KB
ID:	239535  
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 20:16   #2

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy
Re: 1st time replacing water pump; can I upgrade or need same model?

Maybe clean it up and test it? See if it turns on at low pressure and turns off at high pressure? Was the boat winterized with RV antifreeze or the like?
Old 31-05-2021, 20:32   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Maybe clean it up and test it? See if it turns on at low pressure and turns off at high pressure? Was the boat winterized with RV antifreeze or the like?
Any thoughts on how to clean it? I'll be back on the boat on Wed or Thurs.

It's just constantly on whenever I turn the water pressure switch on, on my 12v panel. Water doesn't come out of the faucets and there's no water coming into the mesh filter inlet any more. Maybe the water pump is clogged or maybe there's something stuck in the pipes leading into the water pump?

I tried switching the water tanks, but same thing... pump won't pull.

Yes, it was winterized with -100 F antifreeze. But I cleaned the antifreeze out and filled the tanks with fresh, clean water a couple of weeks ago. But didn't think of cleaning the filter... ugh
Old 31-05-2021, 21:11   #4

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Black goo is not so normal. Hopefully it is just grime and not a dissolved impeller. I would do a two bucket two hose test and see if pump can pull and move plain water without the rest of the system attached. Then go from there checking valves and pipes and stuff.
Old 31-05-2021, 21:53   #5

Boat: Nordic 44

That is gallons per minute, not hour.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Black goo is not so normal. Hopefully it is just grime and not a dissolved impeller. I would do a two bucket two hose test and see if pump can pull and move plain water without the rest of the system attached. Then go from there checking valves and pipes and stuff.
Good call... I'll try that. And yes... I think it's just grime. Or, at least I hope it is... but it seemed biological

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
That is gallons per minute, not hour.
Yikes... yes, I knew that... I can't believe I wrote GPH
Old 01-06-2021, 11:52   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
(see photo below)

I'm assuming it's 3.4 gallons per hour... I can't seem to find the same model online. Can I upgrade? Is 3.5 the same? Or, can I order something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T7JRQ49

Actually, my current pump seems okay... but it may be clogged. When I took off the MESH INLET STRAINER, it was FILTHY

It was clogged with gooey, nasty, filthy stuff... I guess it's after the winter water bacteria growth. Should I try to fix/clean the current pump or just replace it?

It is certainly 3.4 (USA) gallon per hour.
It is marked on the pump in your picture to the right of the model name.
3.5 gph will be the same. No problem in such replacement.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:07   #8

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

“It is certainly 3.4 (USA) gallon per hour.“

On the picture it is stated 13l/min. That is 3,43 US Gallon/min.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:01   #9

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
(see photo below)I'm assuming it's 3.4 gallons per hour... I can't seem to find the same model online. Can I upgrade? Is 3.5 the same? Or, can I order something like this:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T7JRQ49

I'm confused. The link you provided is to a wash down pump (Capacity: 5.2 GPM/Pressure Cut-Off: 70 psi) but you seem to be addressing your fresh water system, is that correct? If so, 70psi seems pretty high for a fresh water system and risks stressing the hoses and connections, making them more prone to leaking.

An accumulator tank for a fresh water system on a small/moderate size boat is @20PSI, ranging from 10-40, so that pump is not a great fit. FWIW here's what we use on our 47 foot, 20 ton cruising ketch with 2 heads, 3 sinks, and 200 gallons of fresh water tankage.

Assuming your pump works, if you turn on a faucet and water doesn't come out but the pump runs, if you have a pressurized system with a working accumulator tank (pressurized to specs) and no leaks, it usually means you need to bleed the system. We have a T valve on the outlet side of the pump that makes it easy for us to do so, which usually happens when we don't pay attention and run the water tank dry.

In the absence of a bleeding valve I suppose you might remove the outlet hose and and attach a short hose to let water drain into the bilge while keeping one or two faucets open until the flow is good and air is out of the system.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
I'm confused. The link you provided is to a wash down pump (Capacity: 5.2 GPM/Pressure Cut-Off: 70 psi) but you seem to be addressing your fresh water system, is that correct? If so, 70psi seems pretty high for a fresh water system and risks stressing the hoses and connections, making them more prone to leaking.

An accumulator tank for a fresh water system on a small/moderate size boat is @20PSI, ranging from 10-40, so that pump is not a great fit. FWIW here's what we use on our 47 foot, 20 ton cruising ketch with 2 heads, 3 sinks, and 200 gallons of fresh water tankage.

Assuming your pump works, if you turn on a faucet and water doesn't come out but the pump runs, if you have a pressurized system with a working accumulator tank (pressurized to specs) and no leaks, it usually means you need to bleed the system. We have a T valve on the outlet side of the pump that makes it easy for us to do so, which usually happens when we don't pay attention and run the water tank dry.

In the absence of a bleeding valve I suppose you might remove the outlet hose and and attach a short hose to let water drain into the bilge while keeping one or two faucets open until the flow is good and air is out of the system.
Good call... yeah, I just noticed the 70psi.

I ended up going with:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073JNVK2

Looks like a lot smaller PSI
Old 02-06-2021, 12:27   #11

Boat: Baba 35

Probably got an air leak.
ttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:24   #12

Thanks for all the input guys! I ended up buying the new pump... $100 USD delivered to New Jersey, USA. Well worth it for a new pump. I connected it as a test and the new one does pull the water nicely. But yeah... still some biological filth in the fresh water tanks. I ended up buying a Water Shock solution.

But... the old one had 3 red and 1 black wires coming out of it into a Hella 12v relay 4rd. That way, whenever the pump was working, the ON button lit up on my panel (see photos below).

But, with this new pump... I only have 1 black and 1 red coming out (I'm assuming the red is +12V power). Is there anything I can do about it or am I stuck without getting the ON light on.

The old one was manufactured in 2010. This one was manufactured in 2020. After 10 solid years, I'm okay to switch to the new pump and well worth the investment. It's quieter and hopefully it'll last a while. But note to self and note to others... check your filters often. Especially AFTER de-winterizing the tanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-7589.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	239904   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-7585.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	239905  

Name:	IMG-7580.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	239906  
Old 07-06-2021, 20:36   #13

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys! I ended up buying the new pump... $100 USD delivered to New Jersey, USA. Well worth it for a new pump. I connected it as a test and the new one does pull the water nicely. But yeah... still some biological filth in the fresh water tanks. I ended up buying a Water Shock solution.

But... the old one had 3 red and 1 black wires coming out of it into a Hella 12v relay 4rd. That way, whenever the pump was working, the ON button lit up on my panel (see photos below).

But, with this new pump... I only have 1 black and 1 red coming out (I'm assuming the red is +12V power). Is there anything I can do about it or am I stuck without getting the ON light on.

The old one was manufactured in 2010. This one was manufactured in 2020. After 10 solid years, I'm okay to switch to the new pump and well worth the investment. It's quieter and hopefully it'll last a while. But note to self and note to others... check your filters often. Especially AFTER de-winterizing the tanks.
Does the new one have a pressure switch? What make/model is it?

If it has a pressure switch look for a short wire coming out of the switch and going into the motor. If that exists you can attach a wire to it and power your indicator light from it. Do not cut the wire. carefully cut away a bit of insulation and solder the wire for the indicator light to it. Then insulate the connection with either electrical tape or liquid tape.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Does the new one have a pressure switch? What make/model is it?

If it has a pressure switch look for a short wire coming out of the switch and going into the motor. If that exists you can attach a wire to it and power your indicator light from it. Do not cut the wire. carefully cut away a bit of insulation and solder the wire for the indicator light to it. Then insulate the connection with either electrical tape or liquid tape.

I may have to live without it. I’m not keen on soldering. Not an expert and don’t want to mess with it.

But yes. The new one has two red wires going to the top pump. But look at the old one. The old one has the two red from the bottom going to the delay:

Name:	IMG_1623173841.647952.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	239979

And, this is the new one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073JNVK2/
Johnson Pumps 10-13395-103 Aqua Jet WPS 3.5 Water Pressure Pump, 12V

It's almost identical except the bottom cables (one goes to the pump on top (or is it motor on top) and one goes to the relay).
Old 08-06-2021, 10:43   #15

Also. What’s the easiest way to remove the disconnects. They seem stuck

Name:	IMG_1623174181.633785.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	239980

Name:	IMG_1623174197.284753.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	239981