Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2020, 21:49   #1

Boat: Privilege 482
12v freezer, poor cooling, drier and supply line cool?

Hello-

We have a Isotherm freezer (BD80 compressor, eutectic plate). Lately it is taking much longer to cool between cycles, and last night it ran all night without the temperature dropping. I noticed that the drier and the supply line, which are normally warm, are now cool to the touch.

Any thoughts on what these symptoms are indicating?

Cheers- Matt

Old 29-04-2020, 22:32   #2

Boat: Custom steel schooner 15m oa
Re: 12v freezer, poor cooling, drier and supply line cool?

Needs gassing. Altho supply line cool there's not enough gas to do the job.

Old 30-04-2020, 12:40   #3
Marine Service Provider

Unfortunately you will not find a troubleshooting guide or local refrigerator technician to repair your over designed system. If you have confirmed compressor was truly running and got warm not hot then Phil's best guess might be correct and refrigerant volume is in question. Loss of enough refrigerant to lose total cooling is going to require leak testing and repairing leak. If compressor test indicates compressor was not running only water pump was running trouble is in one of the added electrical gadgets, ASU if it has one, Danfoss AEO if it has one, the standard electronic control module unless it has the AEO. If run test shows compressor was warmer than normal problem has nothing to do with refrigerant unit itself and is caused by dirty electrical wiring in boat like a poor ground from module to battery causing compressor motor three phases to be interrupted. Excessively hot compressor and condenser during test run can indicate the water pump's expensive variable speed controller is not supplying enough water to condenser.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 19:56   #4

Boat: Privilege 482

Thanks. I think Phil has it nailed. Added some refrigerant and it is now performing much better. Low gas was also my hunch, but the fact that the supply line and drier were cold was a symptom that I hadn’t seen before, so wasn’t sure and wanted to consult with the experts here. Of course now I’ll need to figure out where the very slow leak is. Also need to find some more 134a, which is going to be a challenge as we are not allowed to leave the port area of Galle. Ah, the joys of coronacruising.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:15   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
Thanks. I think Phil has it nailed. Added some refrigerant and it is now performing much better. Low gas was also my hunch, but the fact that the supply line and drier were cold was a symptom that I hadnít seen before, so wasnít sure and wanted to consult with the experts here. Of course now Iíll need to figure out where the very slow leak is. Also need to find some more 134a, which is going to be a challenge as we are not allowed to leave the port area of Galle. Ah, the joys of coronacruising.
With a standard aluminium evaporator the leak rate of refrigerant can be measured over time by area of frost cover on plate reducing. It you are allowing the thermostat to control system shutdown temperature you may be able to monitor leak rate by watching frost on line leaving eutectic plate at the time when thermostat stops compressor.

I would visually look for leaks on that system first using small pieces of paper towel in two areas, Both Aero-quip refrigerant line connectors and at refrigerant service connection sealing cap. When these common areas leak very small amounts of oil will be present on bottom of fitting. By touching that area with paper towel material a leak spot can be detected. With that type line connector leaks can many times be stopped by using two wrenches to tighten connection 1/8 of a turn applying addition pressure to the metal to metal permanent seal inside. The servicing cap is not a dust cover as it needs to be checked for a good tight seal inside it.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, freezer