Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2021, 14:43   #1

120v Chest Freezers

I'm planning to buy a cheap domestic 120v chest freezer in either 5 or 7 cu ft.

1)Does anybody have experience running one of these off a 1000w inverter -- is it enough for compressor startup?
2)Also, curious to estimated daily amp draw in florida type heat?
3) For 5 vs 7 cu ft, do you think they actually step up the compressor size, or use exact same compressor in both?

Comparing the Energy Star yearly KWH, they say the 7 uses about 17% more energy (for 30% more space). Not sure if that's due to larger compressor, or same size compressor running more...
SKMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 17:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: 120v Chest Freezers

I have 2-7' chest freezers. Mine are in a weathertight on deck locker with 2" foam surrounding them. If mostly full, they don't run often, maybe every 2-3 hours. But I'm in a cool climate. I have a big inverter and it runs the freezers, a large reefer, fresh water pump, all my lights, tv, etc.
I don't think 1000w is enough for anything.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 06:32   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I have 2-7' chest freezers. Mine are in a weathertight on deck locker with 2" foam surrounding them. If mostly full, they don't run often, maybe every 2-3 hours. But I'm in a cool climate. I have a big inverter and it runs the freezers, a large reefer, fresh water pump, all my lights, tv, etc.
I don't think 1000w is enough for anything.

How big is your inverter?
SKMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 17:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

2-4400w 120/240 tied together as one. Magnum MS-PAE fed from 48v bank.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 18:11   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 2017

Try getting one with a rear condenser not wall condenser (Condenser looks like black pipe cascading downward) Then when you find it fails due to under condensing in hot climates you can add a fan blowing over condenser to assist and also you can then increase wall insulation if needed. These two things will also greatly improve power efficiency.
OzeLouie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 04:21   #6

Boat: Hunter 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMT View Post
I'm planning to buy a cheap domestic 120v chest freezer in either 5 or 7 cu ft.

1)Does anybody have experience running one of these off a 1000w inverter -- is it enough for compressor startup?

Depends on the inverter, the ambient temperature, the temperature inside the freezer. You may find that a freezer that runs OK if previously cooled off on shore power won't start if it has been defrosted, particularly on a hot day, so the fact that it works once is no guarantee it will work next time. I think 1000 watts would be marginal.

Keep in mind that you'll have to defrost several times a year in tropical areas, more often if you are opening the freezer multiple times a day e.g. to get ice

Quote:
2)Also, curious to estimated daily amp draw in florida type heat?
amp hour draw per day at 12v with 10% inverter losses = kwh draw per year divided by 4

Typically these draw around 200-250 kwh per year on the yellow label which matches my own measurements on the ones I have owned, so you're looking at 50-60 Ah per day, roughly. On a hot day it will be a little more but will not be double.

Quote:

3) For 5 vs 7 cu ft, do you think they actually step up the compressor size, or use exact same compressor in both?

Comparing the Energy Star yearly KWH, they say the 7 uses about 17% more energy (for 30% more space). Not sure if that's due to larger compressor, or same size compressor running more...
The KWH used is roughly proportional to the total wall area (on all six sides) because that determines the heat loss. Did they change compressors between models? Who knows, but it doesn't affect energy use as long as it's reasonably sized for the wall area.

Tags
freezer