Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2016, 19:25   #1

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Yammer SD20 Doesn't Shift To Reverse

Well, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Which makes docking interesting. I've experienced no reverse, and then moments later reverse would engage

I wondered if this might happen more when the engine (transmission, really) is hot, so today on our return to the dock (and I have a particularly difficult-to-access berth) I made sure to not run this port engine (on a cat) until I arrived. Shifted fine, but who knows next time.

Having heard of eventual problems with the cone clutch in the SD20, perhaps this is how it starts? I had checked to make sure that the shift linkage was working properly externally, and everything looked fine, while I was watching anyway. So it seems the problem is inside the transmission.

Has anyone else had a problem of this nature? Or a problem with the cone clutch, and if so what were the symptons?
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 07:30   #2

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: Yammer SD20 Doesn't Shift To Reverse

Well, I have discovered (I remember this now) that the SD20 has dog clutches, not the cone clutches of later models that have caused problems.

However, the problem still remains!

Saildrive doesn't engage in reverse at times.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote