Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2019, 04:59   #1

Whitlock steering vibrations

I've been looking into my Whitlock steering system due to some vibrations I've noticed under autopilot at my steering wheel. Due to increased pressure on the rudder (due to swell or running close hauled with a fair bit of wind), pressure on the rudder increases and you feel it becomes somewhat harder to steer. Within my experience, that seems well within the limits considering the Whitlock system.

Hand steering, you more or less adjust to these conditions. Under AP, it will try to push through nonetheless. Under AP, vibrations at the pedestal/steering wheel occur, and I'm not quite sure where it comes from. Looking for the problem, I found this ring at the pedestal unit which has a fair bit of leeway, as you can see in attached movie. Under pressure, I think movement in this ring causes the vibrations. It sounds similar and furthermore it doesn't really seem to lock in place by any of the other components. It can move freely. The problem is: I am not sure what this ring is for, I don't know how to disassemble this part; nor do I know whether or not the leeway is normal. I need some guidance in the right direction and it would be great if someone could help me, before getting overcharged by the local repair shop, who are not that familiar with the system either...

Thanks!

Video of vibrations -> https://youtu.be/A9bjvkpOtEo
Video of ring -> https://youtu.be/Kbp-SIxeIRo
csdjng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering