Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2022, 15:05   #1

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller
When is a MAX prop too old

Hi I have a 3 bladed Max prop in use on my Hinckley 49, that has been in use over 20 years.
I cannot fault it’s performance, forward, feathered, and reverse all work exactly as it should.
It’s get an annual grease clean and paint, everything is good except play in the blades.
If I hold the blade at the end I can get at least two mm of wobble.
I assume this is wear.
My questions are, how much wear it allowed, how do I know if the prop will fail, if it fails what happens?
I hate replacing items that are still ok to use.
Max prop do have a return and refurbishment option, not sure if this is for me though

Maybe it will go another20 years? Or maybe it will break off tomorrow, I don’t know.

Any max props out there similar?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6416.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	258888

Mark hunter
Www.Vacuwash.com.au
0415 333 244
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 15:38   #2
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: When is a MAX prop too old

maybe ask MaxProp???
Old 03-06-2022, 15:42   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'd ask the Max prop folks, since they offer the re-furbish option. It IS possible to build up worn parts, but they might also replace with the re-furbishing option, so I'd enquire about that if the 2mm play is "too much" according to them. If you continue to run it with a lot of play, it will just batter things more.

Ann
Old 03-06-2022, 15:43   #4

Mine is 26 years old, a veteran of two circumnavigations, and over 150,000 ocean miles. I haven’t seen anything that says repair or replace to me.

Keep them properly zinced, and don’t shift abruptly from forward to reverse and there really isn’t any wear that happens.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 15:48   #5

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Are you talking about 2mm at the tips of the blades? I'm not sure that's out of line. I agree that you should ask max prop about it. I think if you send it in and they decide the play is too much, they can shim the base of the blades where the hub clamshells around them.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 16:39   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Having used the rebuild service, I can tell you that they do a good job. Nothing about Max Prop's are cheap and if you have two of them, as I did, on my cat, that counts double. They are actually supposed to be sent in for refurbishment, periodically, because they DO wear, like anything mechanical. in my opinion, wear comes when shifting in and out of gear, and possibly whilst motoring, rather than sailing. And, they must be greased carefully....not a low maintenance item. Talk to their US distributors, PYI, who are very helpful, and know their product on an intimate basis.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 16:59   #7

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller

I have asked the exact question to max prop, the crowd response is always more fun and varied
I’ll post their response when I get it
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 17:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markhunter1097 View Post
I have asked the exact question to max prop, the crowd response is always more fun and varied
I’ll post their response when I get it
I don't really see any significant variation in the answers. There is no age or mileage that automatically indicates a rebuild is needed. If the prop has been abused, it might have enough wear that it does need a rebuild.

How much is too much wear? Call MaxProp. It's the only answer that counts.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 19:14   #9

Boat: C&C

Had my 2 blade for 34 years now, never babied it and it runs perfect! Every year I take it apart and regrets the entire unit, no signs of wear. Absolutely love it!!! Best boat investment I ever made!!!
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 21:15   #10

Boat: Nordic 44

My three blade Maxprop in now 36 years old. Over 10,000 engine hours on two engines and 135,000 total sea miles. I had Maxprop service it once over 24 years ago and once by an independent machinist in New Zealand about 14 years ago.

Do you have the modification to grease the prop without taking it apart? If not have them do that for you when you send it in for service.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 21:39   #11

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I noticed my 3 blade max prop has some vibration when motorsailing, so had it refurbished after 4000 hours. It cost half of a new prop, but came back like new.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 21:57   #12

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Like other ones above have said, check with max prop.
Mine was 24-25 years old, sailed ? 40 to 60k NM , had similar play as yours: a few mm at the end of the 3 blades, and the next time I hauled out, small crack in the boss/housing, not repairable.
Now have a new 4 blade one, and I am on diet of water and rice for 2 years to pay for that
Old 04-06-2022, 05:07   #13

I suggest that you telephone PYI and ask to speak with Jerome. He is the exceptionally helpful and experienced person who evaluates returned Max Props and reconditions them, if you decide to go that route.

A couple of years ago, a boatyard owner suggested sending my nearly 20-year-old Max Prop to PYI for evaluation and reconditioning. I had a number of telephone discussions with Jerome and eventually decided to have him recondition the prop.

The price is substantial, but considerably less than the price of a new Max Prop. Jerome gave me a clear explanation of what he does in the reconditioning process and the possible outcomes. The outcome after reconditioning depends on how careful and consistent the helmsman is about letting the prop's revolutions come down in neutral before shifting from forward to reverse and vice versa.

I hope this is helpful.
jtcatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:00   #14
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Just a heads-up: The Max Prop Classic model has been discontinued for some time now. I don't know if this is the case or not, but I wonder if parts availability has been affected (if needed during a refurb.)
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:29   #15

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5

I had the same thing and of course max prop told me to send it in. Haven't yet. Previous owner didn't grease it
sv_isara is offline   Reply With Quote