Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2021, 14:29   #1

Boat: Pearson 30
Wheel steering Drive unit four Simrad auto pilot 24?

Greetings, I have all the components for the AP 24 except the drive unit. I am checking with various company tech-support, but would also like some real life input.

To be installed on Pearson 30, 8600 pound displacement, Edson wheel steering.

If anyone has a similar set up or suggestions on same I would appreciate it. Thanks!

https://studio.youtube.com/channel/U...gZ0TNAegy_WZQA
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:53   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Wheel steering Drive unit four Simrad auto pilot 24?

I have one, hydraulic (hydraulic steering, too) and moving a 3' by 4' rudder on 65,000 pounds of boat.

I'm not sure what your question is. Overall, I like the Simrad system. The only problem I've had with it was when I installed a larger steering cylinder and the unit responded that the steering was too slow. On the advice of one of Simrad's engineers, I told the computer that the rudder was at 45 degrees when it was only at 20 degrees, and that solved the problem.

The hydraulic control does need careful installation, and absolutely no debris in the oil. there are some tiny spring-loaded balls in there that will not tolerate a bit of thread in the works. On the other hand, it runs quite well on the tractor level hydaulic oil that I feed it.

The steering, particularly in rough weather, is a bunch better than I can do by hand. One feature is "steer a line" rather than "steer a heading," so it crabs against a current or wind.

Is there some particular concern on your mind?
Old 05-04-2021, 07:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
I have one, hydraulic (hydraulic steering, too) and moving a 3' by 4' rudder on 65,000 pounds of boat.

I'm not sure what your question is. Overall, I like the Simrad system. The only problem I've had with it was when I installed a larger steering cylinder and the unit responded that the steering was too slow. On the advice of one of Simrad's engineers, I told the computer that the rudder was at 45 degrees when it was only at 20 degrees, and that solved the problem.

The hydraulic control does need careful installation, and absolutely no debris in the oil. there are some tiny spring-loaded balls in there that will not tolerate a bit of thread in the works. On the other hand, it runs quite well on the tractor level hydaulic oil that I feed it.

The steering, particularly in rough weather, is a bunch better than I can do by hand. One feature is "steer a line" rather than "steer a heading," so it crabs against a current or wind.

Is there some particular concern on your mind?
Thank you for your input, tkeithlu.

I am awaiting Simrad's recommendations for a drive unit for the AP 24. From what I understand (and that's not saying much at this point), either a Simrad hydraulic or mechanical (cable) drive unit will be compatible-the specific sizes and part numbers are forthcoming.
This system may be more than I need for a 8600 lb boat, on the other hand, once installed, it should provide a robust AP for the boat. I also have a Simrad MFD that will
connect with the AP.
So, I am collecting information, going from the general to the specific at this point. And knowing more about the installation details really helps.
Cheers
Old 05-04-2021, 11:05   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

OK. You're going to find that installation is pretty straightforward. On the other hand, be ready to spend an afternoon out in the bay teaching the AP about your boat. It needs to learn how much rudder to use for a 10 degree turn, for example. Parts of the process are done at the dock, and parts underway with no one within collision range.

By the way, I use the AP's rudder position indicator for docking. With the AP on standby, the rudder indicator (an LCD bar with degrees port and starboard) is active. It's more accurate than my analog position gauge.
Old 05-04-2021, 22:32   #5

Thank you for the information.
I am waiting for a reply from Simrad and their Rec. for a compatible drive unit.

Good to hear that the installation is straightforward.

I'm also checking the CF classifieds for drive units.

Cheers,

Bo

Tags
simrad, steering, wheel