Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2019, 23:18   #1

Boat: Elan 45 (2003)
Volvo Penta Saildrive milky oil

Hi to all, I have an issue with my saildrive oil and am looking to see what the general opinion is regarding options.. all without liability...
I have recently put my boat into the water after having been on the hard for 6 months, for the season with the intention of sailing from Greece to Turkey and back, over the next 4-5 months. The boat has been in the water for about a month now and a few days ago I noticed the saildrive oil has become milky.. I check it regularly so this is a very recent issue. (I haven't fouled the prop during this time).
It appears there has been water ingress through the rubber seal between the drive shaft and the housing, with an increase in milky oil level of about 50ml.
I have drained the level back down to the full level and it has remained at this level for the last day ..with 2:5hours motoring.
We are currently on the lower Peloponnesus which is rather remote and I am wondering what are the options and how quickly I need to act.
The options I'm considering are:
A: find somewhere quickly to lift the boat and replace seals (costly and remote area)
B: drain as much of the current oil while both is in the water (suction) replace oil and wait until I get to Turkey where I can combine the lift with a road trip and site seeing.

The question is how much damage is this likely to cause.??

I would appreciate anyone's comments and suggestions
Cheers
Ant
AROsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 23:55   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Volvo Penta Saildrive milky oil

You really don’t want to be running with water in the oil unless in a dire emergency. Can you sail there?
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, penta, sail, saildrive, volvo