Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 15:34   #16

Re: Vibration in Helm - Too Much Oil?

Hi,
sorry to hear of travails.
First to oil out of breather- are you positive you over filled engine oil? How do you know if this what you think?

Onto helm vibration.did it vibrate when engine running but vessel not moving?
Only when vessel under power? Under sail?
Is helm cable or hydraulic?

Have you had any repairs or work done to vessel that may have been causal?

All the Best
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 14:59   #17

Boat: bavaria 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_sailing View Post
While motoring last weekend I noticed a significant vibration in my helm (wheel) that I had not previously encountered. My first instinct is that I might have an issue with the rudder or propeller. However, when I returned to my slip I noticed a pool of oil on the cabin sole near the access door to engine. It appears that I overfilled the oil when I last changed it and oil was spraying out of the breather hose. (Google told me that this could potentially cause a run away situation if excessive oil is pulled into the air intake; which THANKFULLY did not happen!). I, of course, will correct the oil level and then determine if helm vibration continues (this weekend, weather permitting!) but until then, can anyone weigh in as to the likelihood it was the excessive oil pressure that was causing vibration in the helm? Or should I be prepared to tackle a rudder/propulsion problem?

I had taken the boat out once before since the oil change and do not recall the vibration; but I did not motor for nearly as long and had much calmer conditions.

As always, thank you all for the continued help.

Hi
I have the same problem
I have kiwi propeller, when the engine rpm reach to 1800rpm I can feel the vibration.
when the engine is running with out engagement it reach to 3000rpm with out vibration.
I think the propeller is out of balanced, may be the reason is some think is stick to the blades .
did toy fined the reason of the vibration?
izhak
izhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 15:49   #18

Boat: Liberty 458

I assume you overfilled the engine oil. Was the engine blowing smoke? Was the engine running smoothly?

A diesel will consume its sump oil during a runaway. Usually a sniff of gasoline, alcohol or similar volatile will cause a runaway. Engine oil wont cause a runaway.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 15:59   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

You should be very sure that it was an overfill problem. Other reasons for oil overflowing are bad lift pump and bad seal in the hp pump. Verify that there is no diesel in your engine oil before you motor any distance. Check your oil level often until you are sure that the problem was you adding to much oil.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 17:11   #20

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by izhak View Post
Hi
I have the same problem
I have kiwi propeller, when the engine rpm reach to 1800rpm I can feel the vibration.
when the engine is running with out engagement it reach to 3000rpm with out vibration.
I think the propeller is out of balanced, may be the reason is some think is stick to the blades .
did toy fined the reason of the vibration?
izhak

Going to boat tomorrow, weather permitting. Unfortunately there's an 80% chance of rain as of now.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 17:13   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
I assume you overfilled the engine oil. Was the engine blowing smoke? Was the engine running smoothly?

A diesel will consume its sump oil during a runaway. Usually a sniff of gasoline, alcohol or similar volatile will cause a runaway. Engine oil wont cause a runaway.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

I don't recall there being much smoke but I do remember the exhaust smelled a but potent at one point.

Old 09-04-2015, 17:17   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
You should be very sure that it was an overfill problem. Other reasons for oil overflowing are bad lift pump and bad seal in the hp pump. Verify that there is no diesel in your engine oil before you motor any distance. Check your oil level often until you are sure that the problem was you adding to much oil.

Thank you for the advice. If I pull some oil and inspect it, will the diesel separate from the oil?

By HP pump are you referring to oil pump?

Old 09-04-2015, 17:40   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

HP as in High Pressure pump that moves diesel fuel to the injectors. The oil wont separate but if there is diesel in the oil sump it will feel thin when rubbed between thumb and finger tip and it will smell like diesel fuel.

I don't know what kind of engine you have but some engines have problems with the o rings that separate the HP pump from the lubrication oil in the crankcase. Another problem could be a pin hole in the lift pump that supplies diesel fuel from the tank to the HP pump through your filters. Here is a thread on the problem.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oil-72379.html
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
helm, oil