Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2015, 10:16   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Vibration at > 1400 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peschi View Post
Wow, thank you very much for all the answers, you are all very helpful!!

I tried to move the engine as descriped. But there is no movement.

I am now in a harbour which I will leave tomorrow. If we stay in a bay tomorrow for overnight, I will go diving and see in which direction I can move the Prop/Shaft.

I will post the update then.

I am not very good in repairing this things, since I don't have the knowledge and the required tools. If I look the Video of replacing this bearing I will never be able to do that by myself. Maybe I have to hull out then.

Actually I am in Spain and in 2 Months I want to go over the Atlantic. Hopefully with less vibration... but if I am sailing, and put the reverse-gear, then the vibration of course stops.

By the way: I am not sure if it is important or not: But the worst vibrations I get, when I drive forward with about 4 knots and then have to stop immediately (for example in a harbour while maneuvering). So from neutral in Reverse and giving maybe 1400 RPM while the boat still drives forward. Then the vibrations and the noise are really awful...

So, you I will post again tomorrow or after-tomorrow... thanks again!!!
Just my humble opinion. If you are not good at repairing this sort of thing have it looked at before the shaft gets galled. It sounds like the cutlass is whollowed out.

Just a side thought. Cut back on your RPMs prior from shifting if I understood what you said? Docking isn't a controlled crash, other than the SI ferry.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 11:03   #17

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

If you haul out now you might be able to save shaft damage which will be cheaper in the long run. I hope you have an experienced yard where you can do this.
Old 09-10-2015, 13:02   #18

Boat: Colvic Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peschi View Post
Hello everyone
I own a Beneteau 473, with which I d'like to sail around for some years. It is 12 years old and has a Volvo TMD22 and a three blade NON-folding Propeller.

At about 1400 RPM and more, there starts a noisy vibration. It is not on the Engine, more behind it. I already had a mechanican on the boat, who aligned the engine new, so that the shaft can be turned easily by hand. But the vibration are still there.

The vibrations only occurs, if the prop is turning, so no vibration in neutral even at higher RPMs.

When I dive to the Prop, everything seems to be normal. The only thing I am not sure about: it is normal that I can move the Prop and the Shaft under Water a little bit... maybe 1-2 Milimeter. Should this be tighthen? There are two plasctic-screws right behind the Prop. What are these for?

Can anyone help me?

Thank you very much!
Yep been there got the T shirt this year and learned the hard way when I had vibration.

First thoughts were the Cutlass bearing,Removed and renewed Cutlass bearing -better but still vibration!
Then thought it must be the shaft, Fitted new shaft and another cutlass bearing - better but still some vibration at 1800 rpm

Changed 'all four' engine mounts and re aligned shaft again - problem solved

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group
Tynesider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rpm