Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2019, 05:53   #31
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Velox Plus prop antifoul paint

As the OP of thread:

I never got enough feedback to go with the Velox so 30 months ago sp just went with a spray can of the Petit Barnacle Buster like I had been using. After 2.5 years I hauled out and most of the BB was gone, but there was no growth on the shaft or prop. So I just cleaned the shaft/prop and put another can of the BB on them.
Old 18-03-2019, 19:10   #32

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Orana 44

My props, finished with Velox, adorned with new zincs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3912.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	188303   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3911.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	188304  

pstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:04   #33

Boat: Knysna 500SE

I am very disappointed with the product. we have followed the application instructions to the letter and after 2 weeks and about 2 hours of sailing this is the result.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MZANSKySNSuEMTHP8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FDZjGWhPqAm7j4tf7
Old 06-09-2019, 11:53   #34

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

We had Velox plus on our saildrives in the spring and it is still clean now. Not tried on folding props as I scrub snorkelling. Seems very good and reasonably priced
Rapanui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 17:39   #35

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Picture is our prop, with Pettit Barnacle Barrier after a season. Just powerwashed the bottom and prop. Not terrible for a low cost coating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181020_131801.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	199318  
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 16:26   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Has anyone tried the Velox Plus shaft/prop anti foul paint? In the past I've used the Pettit Barnacle Barrier with Ok results. But last Spring with only 2 days to get launch prep done I couldn't find any and used some hardware store zinc primer instead. I'll take a picture later and post, but near as I can tell the barnacles LOVED that zinc primer stuff.

I would like a better longer term answer to the prop/shaft growth and was considering the PropSpeed for next year. But that stuff looks a pain to apply so on a web search I found this Velox Plus stuff from PYI.

Velox | Velox Plus Antifouling Paint From PYI Inc.

I know this thread is old, but I came across it when I was searching for where to buy PYI Velox.

Two years ago while my boat was on the hard I took apart my folding prop, had it sand (or was it bead) blasted, and then coated with Velox.

For first 3 months my boat was in crystal clear waters of Bermuda and Bahamas. Then I got sick and my boat sat in a polluted bay in the Abaco for 6 months and then sat for 12 months in a inlet in GA that I would call not particularly clean.

For the year in GA the hull and prop were cleaned monthly. The diver noted that the prop stayed very clean, was impressed, and wanted to know what I coated it with.

Note that for 1.5 years the only sailing the boat got was moving it from the Abaco to GA. In my opinion that makes the work of the paint more difficult.

Recently I moved the boat to NC where I had it hauled to have the bottom painted. There were quite a few small barnacles on the hull, some on the the aluminum sail drive that was coated with a different paint, but the prop was in great shape.

So I'm purchasing more Velox, the boatyard is going to sandblast the prop, and I'll paint it. The primer and paint are both one part (no catalyst) so they are easy to apply. The key is getting the prop clean and "rough" enough. Read their instructions and view their videos.
mlibkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 13:15   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
Picture is our prop, with Pettit Barnacle Barrier after a season. Just powerwashed the bottom and prop. Not terrible for a low cost coating.
That photo looks pretty good for a season's worth of growth....must be the cold water in Boston keeping the barnacles at bay!

I splashed our boat at the start of July and had three heavy coats of Pettit BB on the prop and shaft. Went sailing last weekend and got a line around the prop, so dove on it Sunday. After 10 weeks in the water the prop was probably 65-70% coated with barnacles, a few as big as a half inch across. Granted it is the height of the barnacle growing season, but I wasn't impressed. Water temp has been about 80*F. For comparison, the bottom paint had nothing on it..ABC 3.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:54   #38

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

I plan on using Trinidad on my Tri’s hills, and a Velox kit on the prop, shaft, and strut.

I have painted the SS rudder gudgeon and pintles in the past, using Petitts two part pink primer. It is no longer sold.

Will the Velox primer work with Pettit Trinidad (copper) over it?

It would be impossible to have the Trinidad butt up to the hinge straps without one product overlapping the other, however I have stripped the area, so the Velox could go on first.
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 12:39   #39

Re: What if I put sheep grease over BB ???

Just bought 100% small can Lanolin for my dry skin......Had haul 10 months ago ---yard used trinadad and BB zinc spray on props,,,,saw somewhere that lanolin works on props--but will it work on top BB?????help
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 13:27   #40

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
I plan on using Trinidad on my Tri’s hills, and a Velox kit on the prop, shaft, and strut.

I have painted the SS rudder gudgeon and pintles in the past, using Petitts two part pink primer. It is no longer sold.

Will the Velox primer work with Pettit Trinidad (copper) over it?

It would be impossible to have the Trinidad butt up to the hinge straps without one product overlapping the other, however I have stripped the area, so the Velox could go on first.
AS A TWO SEASON FOLLOWUP ON VELUX...
I maxed out the perfect prep, following instructions, calling the dealer with questions, etc. This Velux product on my drive train failed 100% within a month, on the long shaft, prop, and strut. Paint, & primer as well. Others had it fail in a week!
I do NOT recommend it. It is still mostly there on the waterline rudder hinge hardware, probably because it is not bonded in with the other metals, which have a common anode protecting them.

In 27 years with this boat I have tried a copper loaded epoxy gel coat, Prop Glop, bottom paint (with Pettit primer), and nothing.

The FlexOFold prop always failed ASAP, but the shaft and strut worked for one season, ONLY with the old Pettit two part primer followed by Trinidad.
I considered Prop Speed, but do not think it will stick either. This is an expensive failure.

Next time, I may try spray can zinc rich paint, just to isolate the electrical action, which really attract barnacles. It might last the first year. Maybe...
Old 23-05-2023, 08:25   #41

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

We hauled a little over a year ago, painted the prop with zinc cold galvanizing paint.
The boat has had almost NO use in the past year due to my wife's medical issue.

A few days ago, I checked the prop, fully expecting a mess of barnacles.
I was pleasantly surprised to find a clean prop, with no barnacles and only a very easily wiped off bit of slime.
The zinc paint was still there, although thinner than what had been applied.
The collar zinc was still nearly pristine. I suppose the zinc paint had been more active than the collar zinc.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint