Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2019, 18:59   #1

Boat: Dufour 310
Tiller pilot actuator under deck

I have a 4000kg 31' yacht with light steering. There is not much space to install a linear drive. I was thinking of using a linear drive designed for tillers as these are more compact and cheaper. Is this possible. I have the electronics just need the actuator.

Stroke would ideally be 12"
Need a clutch.

Thanks for the ideas
ben373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:21   #2

Boat: Parkstone Bay 21
Re: Tiller pilot actuator under deck

Not sure you can do linear drive and clutch. On my little MoBo, I bought a pre-loved linear unit, installed it in the aft locker, acting onto the tiller, which works well. BUT, you have to lift the ram on and off each time. (For me, that's not a problem, but it may be an issue for you). But - in essence - yes, a ram will work fine, and in essence, "drive" the rest of the system, as well as the tiller.
parkstone bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 14:14   #3

I have considered the same thing, but decided to abort the idea for a couple of reasons:

- not enough thrust available from tiller drives to produce adequate torque to control the rudder during high load conditions .. I only have a 9" tiller arm on the rudder post
- no clutch available

If you can live without a clutch, you should measure the force required on your wheel or tiller when hard over at hull speed, and see if the tiller drive can produce as much force/torque with the available under deck tiller arm length.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 02:10   #4

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Hi,

It's been a while since your posting, but to the benefit of others with this I have found an interesting reference on how Nigel Calder overcame the issue of not having enough power on his autopilot.

Rather clever! The use of trim tabs is not new, but the mounting of the pilot is interesting.

See Page 769 (scroll one page up!) here:
https://books.google.de/books?id=Imm...tiller&f=false

Regarding the other issue of not having a clutch on an external drive, we overcame this on our catamaran by mounting our tiller drive on a track and using a spectra line to engage and disengage it.
That way we need not climb on the transom anymore to hook the pilot in or out.

See attached image. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190712_122523.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	196734

Tags
deck