Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2006, 08:18   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1977 Cuttyhunk 59 Ketch, "Diva" in Trinidad
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff S.
Thruster Survey: Vetus or SidePower ?

Those of you so equipped... I'd welcome any comparative data on the two brands. I'm contemplating a 12v unit from one or the other.

Thanks in advance!

Geoff
Old 07-11-2006, 09:21   #2

We have the largest 24 volt Vetus. No problems, it runs great but it is still not large enough for us. We can not push the bow off in 15 on the beam. We end up backing against a spring or rolling the bow around the end of the dock. You might want to look at a 24 volt unit rather than 12 volt.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 16:07   #3
cruiser

I use my wife... ha ha ha! I know. Not a very helpful post, but it's true. She gives the bow a little push off if necessary as she boards.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:57   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, Sean, I used to use my wife as a dock bumper too...back when we had Commedia, a Cape Dory 30. She took one look at Diva (59', 46,000 lbs) and said, "Um, I'm not doing that anymore, just so you know."

Joli, what kind of boat do you have? She must be a biggie, if the largest Vetus 24 model seems underpowered. From what I understand, the equal-sized units available in both 12 and 24 don't have any difference in power (wire gauges in 24 can be smaller, as the amps are half of the 12v); though the larger thruster models do appear to be 24-v exclusively.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:42   #5

Were 65k with 93 foot of spar. Lots of weight and lots of windage. With 15 knots we pop the boat off a lee pier by backing against a spring and rotating on the quarter against a bumper. We do use the thruster to assist but the thruster will not do it on its own. Things are a bit dicier when its blowing 30. When we have 30 we like to crawl forward and rotate on a bumper around a pier and then back off. Tha is not always an option though.

Bottom line, we almost always spring the boat to get of a lee dock. The best use of the bow thruster is manuevering when in tight spot. Center the wheel and steer with the thruster.

Launch and bow thruster photo.

Polly going up 65 feet to work on rigging issues while sailing.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:15   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Woof, she's a beauty! (And the boat's not bad looking, either!)
Old 08-11-2006, 08:28   #7

Boat: Privilege 37
If I had a boat that large I would be considering a hydraulic unit for use with both windlass and thruster. That would be the best way to get the power required.

Between vetus and sidepower - individual preference and most data I have is for smaller units than you require. Vetus seems to have aimed at the market for replacement kit, whereas sidepower seems to be maunufacturers preference.

When I was looking for one, the sidepower was by far the better option due to the size of the footprint.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:25   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff S.
Yeah, Sean, I used to use my wife as a dock bumper too...back when we had Commedia, a Cape Dory 30. She took one look at Diva (59', 46,000 lbs) and said, "Um, I'm not doing that anymore, just so you know."
I know we're only 26,000lbs in our boat, but does my wife get a handicap for being 5'1" and 103lbs?

Anyway... I wasn't being serious at all. Just making a joke.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:05   #9

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Think you may find 24v are more powerful than 12v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff S.

Joli, what kind of boat do you have? She must be a biggie, if the largest Vetus 24 model seems underpowered. From what I understand, the equal-sized units available in both 12 and 24 don't have any difference in power (wire gauges in 24 can be smaller, as the amps are half of the 12v); though the larger thruster models do appear to be 24-v exclusively.
We were concerned about the power of our 12v Maxpower retractible truster and the only advice from the manufacturers to beef it up was to replace with 24v version of same model. Gives more HP they said.

We've stuck with our 12v but also have issues pushing off with the thruster alone (due to high freeboard) in stronger beam on winds.

We've found it more relaxing overall to try and sail / motor as if its not there, and use it as a last minute bonus (If you know what I mean).

JOHN
Old 08-11-2006, 17:59   #10
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
I like the Sidepower units.
(Made in Norway by Sleipner)

Had 2 of those on a 70 foot motor yacht I was skippering for a while.
One for a bow thruster and one for the stern.

Going into a tight fuel dock I would use both joy-sticks to move sideways like a crab...Pretty slick and kind of un-real..

I was in contact with the factory occasionally to ask questions and get advise on the use.
(There is a time limit, but not an official number, they suggested no more than 3 minuttes non-stop))

Both those thrusters were 25HP and well sized for the 100,000 lbs boat.

I have since recommended the brand to friends with smaller boats and they have been very happy with the product.
Old 08-11-2006, 19:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man
I like the Sidepower units.
(Made in Norway by Sleipner)

Had 2 of those on a 70 foot motor yacht I was skippering for a while.
One for a bow thruster and one for the stern.

Going into a tight fuel dock I would use both joy-sticks to move sideways like a crab...Pretty slick and kind of un-real..

I was in contact with the factory occasionally to ask questions and get advise on the use.
(There is a time limit, but not an official number, they suggested no more than 3 minuttes non-stop))

Both those thrusters were 25HP and well sized for the 100,000 lbs boat.

I have since recommended the brand to friends with smaller boats and they have been very happy with the product.
Remeber, wind loading for a sailboat is much different than a powerboat
Old 09-11-2006, 09:37   #12
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
Remeber, wind loading for a sailboat is much different than a powerboat
Yup, I did not forget, but I still like the Sidepower brand
Old 14-07-2011, 17:02   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 365 Dean Catamaran
Re: Thruster survey: Vetus or SidePower?

Hi guys, any links for the side power units?
niel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 03:28   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Thruster Survey: Vetus or SidePower ?

Side-Power bow & stern thrusters - Side-Power News
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 07:38   #15

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
I have a heavy 66' with 93' mast. I am installing the 30HP Sidepower hydraulic in addition to hydraulic windlass + other functions. Good advice given above. Can do anything of course but the hydraulic thrusters will do 30HP continuously. Electric just does not cut it at this level.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey