Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2012, 14:57   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: The Blonde Zinc Replacement

My experience is sailors look up but many a powerboater don't look up all that much. Specially after a beer or three... Its those people I would worry about.

For example, going into Richardson bay (sausalito) at night, A mast head anchor lights get lost in the background lighting on the hills. A lower light that also lights the deck is far safer..
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 14:58   #107
cruiser

sorry for your thinking I was agressive.. I was being asertive?!?!?! j/king.. I really wanted to know and get as much info as possible...

thanks for the highlight to the 6degree issue...

and thanks for the info on the sea water strainer...

i been reading up on electrolysis and found lots to read and lots to be confused about...

as for your setup... I am not sure it will work with regards to galvanic corrosion

Corrosion and Electrolysis as applied to Fiberglass Boats

the issue is the dissimilar metals of your shaft and prop, (assuming you dont have a stainless steel prop)

so, unless I am mis reading that article and or your intent on the anode, I am not sure that the placement of your anode will work best.. maybe better then none at all, but,.....

i really dont know what other options you may have either.... except to get a sst prop... and or check that area often...

thanks and sorry if I came off OFFENSIVE... nto meaning to...
sailinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 14:59   #108

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

I don't mean this to be critical of anyone else, but it's just a newbie question.

Aren't zinc kits one of the first replacement parts someone would keep on board? I have never done it, but I remember when I was having a boat surveyed , the boatyard installed new zincs and billed me for it because they "knew that I would want it". This left me with the impression that this is a little item which is vitally important, not too expensive, and probably worth keeping an extra set around.

Do they require a diver to install? Is there some reason sailorchic wouldn't want to install them herself? I'm referring to a previous post where it was suggested that she would need to get a diver out to her boat, and that she needed a temporary solution until one could come.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 15:02   #109

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
My experience is sailors look up but many a powerboater don't look up all that much. Specially after a beer or three... Its those people I would worry about.

For example, going into Richardson bay (sausalito) at night, A mast head anchor lights get lost in the background lighting on the hills. A lower light that also lights the deck is far safer..

So how far above the water does the said anchor light have to be so it is visible at two miles?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 15:02   #110
cruiser

http://www.boatzincs.com/propeller-n...um-anodes.html

would something like these work?
Old 26-07-2012, 15:08   #111
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
So how far above the water does the said anchor light have to be so it is visible at two miles?
depends on how tall said person is, but generally a 6' person can see 5 miles or more to the horizon..
Old 26-07-2012, 15:09   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi artM. Well I do have lots O extra zincs. But the blonde chic forgot to get more screws, well allen head screws for the thing. Really need to add that to my spares list.

Its actually not easy installing a zinc on the prop or prop shaft without some means of breathing under water gear. Lets just say that that zinc replacement underwater is a Blue Job. Because I would drop the zinc, or screw or both before I had them connected on the shaft. I have tried and its just not going to happen. Plus I'm currently in the boonies of the Cali delta where getting a diver to make house calls is tricky...

Sailinman: we're Cool ;-) besides I like an argument now and then. Keeps me on my toes...
Old 26-07-2012, 15:13   #113
cruiser

also ,as i am thinking about the 6 degree thing... where was your light mounted/hung from in relation to the mast and how big is your mast? unless that light was some distance away from the mast, and assuming your mast is as big or bigger then mine, if you located it near the mast you will be more then 6degrees blocked... but then again, the boat is moving, the light is moivng and all that...

just sayin'
Old 26-07-2012, 15:14   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thats whats on my prop, well the brass bit, the zinc cone tends to wear away and once it's ~40% gone, starts thinking about dropping off. That and my amazing lack of coordination underwater, lead me to search for other options.

Will the zinc in a can work, well better then no zinc, least till I get to a diver...
Old 26-07-2012, 15:17   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

well the light is about 20-22 feet behind the mast and my mast is oh maybe 8" wide. I took my bearing compass and checked the arc from one side of the mast to the other and it was somewhat less then 5 degrees.. So I called that good.

Trig would work too, but I'm lazy...

OK so 4.5 degrees of arc. Oh my light is 17' away, the chainplate is 20' away.. Darn blonde moments...
Old 26-07-2012, 15:22   #116
cruiser

yea, almost any distance away from the mast will give it that radii
Old 26-07-2012, 15:51   #117

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinman View Post
being handy and just making things is two different things...

your anchor light works, but is not legal... nor would it be considered safe.. does it function?? probably...
On a recreational boat the nav lights are required to meet distance and color requirements listed in the appendices already cited. They are not required to be certified.

As of 2002 boat manufacturers are required to install certified lights.

https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...tional-vessels
cal40john is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 16:10   #118
cruiser

as i mentioned previously, the reason for certification is for the laywers and courts... it is easy to say that you have 'certified' equipment on board and present manufactures info, or you can prove that your equipment meets the requirements.... I for one would rather have the burden of proof on others, rather then myself... just one less thing to worry about...
Old 27-07-2012, 08:15   #119

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Lets just say that that zinc replacement underwater is a Blue Job.
"Blue Job"?
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 08:56   #120
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sorry girl talk.... blue jobs are for guys,, Pink for girls. Though ok I do alot of blue jobs too. Welll all of them so far but the *&@##$% prop zinc.