Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2020, 12:47   #1

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Talk me out of a Flexofold 3 blade

I am replacing the 2 blade fixed prop on my Catalina 36. At this juncture I am leaning towards a Flexofold 3 blade. Boat will be for cruising and day sailing only and the FF seems to offer the best combination of performance and price. I am using the YM test for performance data and current prices I have found. The Kiwi is definitely cheaper but did not do as well in the tests. Featherstream was also a finalist.
Old 19-02-2020, 12:48   #2
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Talk me out of a Flexofold 3 blade

Ca 't talk you out of it as I like mine a lot
Old 19-02-2020, 14:15   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

We've used a lot of different props over the years, and our FOF 3 blade is easily the best so far. Ours has now some 5000+hours on it and no perceptible wear has occurred. Other folders and some feathering props can't equal that longevity, and you already know that they provide very good motoring performance... so, no, I won't talk you out of it!

An outstanding product IMO.

Jim
Old 19-02-2020, 14:20   #4

I've tried most of the folders and feathering props over the years and my favorite is Flexofold..had an issue on their sizing but it eventually got straightened out. Ours is a 3 blade and its fast under motor with lots of pulling power against a seaway and has been bullet proof for many years. Highly recommended.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 14:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
I am replacing the 2 blade fixed prop on my Catalina 36. At this juncture I am leaning towards a Flexofold 3 blade. Boat will be for cruising and day sailing only and the FF seems to offer the best combination of performance and price. I am using the YM test for performance data and current prices I have found. The Kiwi is definitely cheaper but did not do as well in the tests. Featherstream was also a finalist.
Any possible clearance issues? If not, go ahead!
Old 19-02-2020, 15:29   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

I am another Flexofold fan, but of the prop, not the company. I had a major sizing issue that they refused to deal with, despite the fact that they were the ones doing the advising on size. I would only deal with the factory, so that if there is a problem, there are no middlemen/distributors in the chain, whom the factory might blame. The prop is great.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 16:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
I am another Flexofold fan, but of the prop, not the company. I had a major sizing issue that they refused to deal with, despite the fact that they were the ones doing the advising on size. I would only deal with the factory, so that if there is a problem, there are no middlemen/distributors in the chain, whom the factory might blame. The prop is great.
Same thing happened to me, it took a long time and it wasn't free but it finally got sorted. There is no easy answer as they are supposed to know their product, poor customer service.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 09:13   #8

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

We had a 3-blade Flexofold on our old boat and really liked it, but we have a Max-Prop on our current boat and it outperforms the Flexofold in my experience. When sailing the Flexofold may have a slight advantage, but under power, especially in reverse (as when backing into a slip) the Max-Prop is far better.

Tom
Tom_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 09:16   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Maybe you should take Jim's advice. I had about 15 yrs successful experience w a Maxprop on a Beneteau 40ft (12m). I changed my fixed 3 blade on my (new to me) Jeanneau 43 ds to a Featherstream which is v similar to the Maxprop design and if you have the YM test report you can see it came out as one of the best. V similar in performance to the max prop but only about 2/3rds of the price. I dealt with Darglow Engineering UK direct, not through a distributor and their sizing and after sales service has been excellent. Absolutely no regrets. If you wish to investigate price and size for yr boat i suggest you speak to Nick.
Andrew
"Genial Bee"
Currently Bari/S.Italy
Old 20-02-2020, 09:22   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Living in Europe, I dealt with the factory in Denmark. The salesman at the Düsseldorf Boot Show just asked me my engine and sold me a two blade Flex-o-fold. When I intstalled the FOF, the tips of the blades would hit my skeg on my Pearson 36-1. Rather than modify the skeg, I opted for shorter blades.

I heard there were "problems" with the US office some years ago.

When I visited La Rochelle two years ago and hauled the boat the following winter, the propeller shaft and the prop were covered in some calcified marine life, not barnacles. My harbormaster told me I had been to France, he recognized the calcified shells of whatever critters had left behind. I soaked the propeller components in a vinegar based toilet cleaner and the next day with a 3M green scrub pad, I had the propeller looking like new.

Do buy their special propeller puller to avoid problems removing it. Normal gear pullers won't work.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 09:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
Living in Europe, I dealt with the factory in Denmark. The salesman at the Düsseldorf Boot Show just asked me my engine and sold me a two blade Flex-o-fold. When I intstalled the FOF, the tips of the blades would hit my skeg on my Pearson 36-1. Rather than modify the skeg, I opted for shorter blades.

I heard there were "problems" with the US office some years ago.

When I visited La Rochelle two years ago and hauled the boat the following winter, the propeller shaft and the prop were covered in some calcified marine life, not barnacles. My harbormaster told me I had been to France, he recognized the calcified shells of whatever critters had left behind. I soaked the propeller components in a vinegar based toilet cleaner and the next day with a 3M green scrub pad, I had the propeller looking like new.

Do buy their special propeller puller to avoid problems removing it. Normal gear pullers won't work.

Prime and paint your propeller To Reduce the surface area of underwater wet metal
No growth , greatly reduced anode burn and better performance
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 09:51   #12
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I have had a MaxProp. I didn't like anything about it bet than my FOF. All it did was cost most to buy, get lower fuel efficiency, and need maintenance.
Old 20-02-2020, 10:44   #13

Boat: Morgan Catalina 45

Love mine, only negative is reverse is not as good as my fixed 3 blade. It doesnt stop as easily, I need considerably higher throttle.However, there is NO propwalk so I like it better even in reverse. I can now confidently maneuver in a tight marina even in cross wind and no thruster.
I dealt direct with no problems.
My boat is a 45 Catalina Morgan with a skeg hung rudder.
Seriously Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 10:45   #14

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Prime and paint your propeller To Reduce the surface area of underwater wet metal
No growth , greatly reduced anode burn and better performance
What primer and paint do you use? Thanks.

I've been happy with FlexoFold propellers too. I've had them on a couple of boats. I particularly liked the low maintenance.

I now VariFold, which is a similar design. Again, no problems so far.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 10:55   #15

Boat: Beneteau 48

Have had a 3 blade Flexofold on our last two boats, a total of 12 years over many different motoring and sailing conditions and we have been very pleased.
joefults is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3 blade