Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 04:29   #1

Boat: Endeavour 43
Suzuki DF15 shifting problem

Good morning...I am hoping that someone out there has the same outboard as I do and has encountered the same issue. I have a Suzuki 15hp four stroke outboard and when the motor is cold, the shift lever will go into forward and reverse without a problem, but after it has run for 15 minutes or so, the shift lever is stuck in forward and will not move. I have been able to get it into neutral with a sharp hit with the palm of my hand but that is never a good solution.
I have felt the lower unit and it is cool to the touch.
I have pulled the lower unit off and there is no corrosion on the shift rod
I have disassembled the linkage and greased the ball spring detent

It has to be some issue in the lower unit but I don't want to start taking it apart without some idea of what might be wrong. I found nothing with Google.
Thanks in advance
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:49   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: JEANNEAU,BENETAU,BAVARIA etc.
Re: Suzuki DF15 shifting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankin View Post
Good morning...I am hoping that someone out there has the same outboard as I do and has encountered the same issue. I have a Suzuki 15hp four stroke outboard and when the motor is cold, the shift lever will go into forward and reverse without a problem, but after it has run for 15 minutes or so, the shift lever is stuck in forward and will not move. I have been able to get it into neutral with a sharp hit with the palm of my hand but that is never a good solution.
I have felt the lower unit and it is cool to the touch.
I have pulled the lower unit off and there is no corrosion on the shift rod
I have disassembled the linkage and greased the ball spring detent

It has to be some issue in the lower unit but I don't want to start taking it apart without some idea of what might be wrong. I found nothing with Google.
Thanks in advance

hi brankin
first check the lower unit oil? open the lower drain bolt and see if you have normal oil or contaminated with sea water.
what is the year of your suzuki? have you made any works on the lower unit ?

M.E
MARINE ENGINNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:08   #3

Boat: Endeavour 43

I forgot to add that in my original post that the motor is a 2007 model year. I changed the lower unit oil and the oil was clean with no water or metal shavings. Since I am the second owner, this problem may be the reason I got such a good deal. Not so sweet now!!!
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:18   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: JEANNEAU,BENETAU,BAVARIA etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankin View Post
I forgot to add that in my original post that the motor is a 2007 model year. I changed the lower unit oil and the oil was clean with no water or metal shavings. Since I am the second owner, this problem may be the reason I got such a good deal. Not so sweet now!!!
try to turn the lower unit shaft (remove the prop) very slow, back and forth to check how is the backlash of the gears. maybe you just have a very tight backlash on the lower unit causing this problem. or something is loose in the lower unit on the dog clutch
but for sure you should overhaul the lower unit and see what is the problem.
if you open it post some photos so i can help you better and try to find on the net pdf manual of your engine

M.E
MARINE ENGINNER is offline   Reply With Quote