Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2016, 14:52   #16

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Stuffing box stern tube issues

Were it me, I'd want to build up the smaller diameter fitting to match that of the larger one. In this case via adding a bit of metal. Though you could get some G-10 tube, have it turned to size, & then bond it in place, after removing the old one.
Also, I'd pass on using any lubricant to assist in installing the hose. The concern being that it could help the hose to slip back of.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 15:14   #17

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
My recommandation is to modernize your set up, by installing instead of your old cutless bearing by a PSS Shaft Seal.(https://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/...ft-seals).Easy to install, no maintenance for life, but mostly, not a drop of water leak from stern tube.... I alway had to in my differents sailboats, and quite happy with the concept.
The PSS is great, but it does not replace a cutless bearing they are two entirely different pieces of gear.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 15:20   #18

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Chamfer the last quarter inch on the forward end of the fiberglass tube to a little less than 2 1/4" with a file, put a little dishwashing liquid on the inner circumference of the stuffing box hose, and drive it on with a 2x4 and a 2 lb hammer. You need to use a proper 5 ply stuffing box hose for this, not a piece of radiator hose...

Buck Algonquin - Stuffing Box Hoses
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 15:55   #19

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Were it me, I'd want to build up the smaller diameter fitting to match that of the larger one. In this case via adding a bit of metal. Though you could get some G-10 tube, have it turned to size, & then bond it in place, after removing the old one.
Also, I'd pass on using any lubricant to assist in installing the hose. The concern being that it could help the hose to slip back of.
+1

My last boat had the same sort of situation, stern tube OD was smaller than the stuffing box. PO just squished the hose to fit, I ended up with the leaks. I redid it and made up the missing OD with a 4" length of bronze bushing the right ID/OD from mcmaster-carr, slid over the stern tube with some goop, 4200? Then new hose from buck algonquin.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 18:38   #20

Boat: Oday 25

I'm another vote for the dripless. Had one for 10 years on an Ericson 35 and other than "burping it" when dropping it into the drink, never had to do anything except vacuum the dust in the bilge. If worried just replace the accordion rubber every 15 yeas.
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 00:03   #21
Marine Service Provider

My problem exactly. No 2 1/4" wire reinforced hose seems to be available anywhere. Shields apparently stopped making it. West Marine guy thinks I can use 2 3/8" hose with a hose clamp with a machine screw type tightened and it will be strong enough to compress the hose enough to make the stuffing box water tight. Worth a try I guess.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 03:30   #22

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
My problem exactly. No 2 1/4" wire reinforced hose seems to be available anywhere. Shields apparently stopped making it. West Marine guy thinks I can use 2 3/8" hose with a hose clamp with a machine screw type tightened and it will be strong enough to compress the hose enough to make the stuffing box water tight. Worth a try I guess.
I don't think you would want wire reinforced hose for this application anyway. I'm going to pick up a piece of both ID hoses and see what works out best. I suspect my OEM was exhaust hose anyway as the wall thickness is 1/4" which is less than true stuffing box hose. but it lasted nearly 40 years!!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 15:59   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

An issue I have heard of is with regular hose, it has a slight bend radius to it as it was rolled up at one time, where proper stuffing box hose was made straight, cut and shipped as straight pieces. Don't know it if this is true or not, but sounds right.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote